Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My offical best timed lap was 1:075 in a bone stock 350z with 10K miles on it. The only thing I have in there is cobalt friction street pads on stock everything. Now the tires are offically thanks to the lovely pavement of Lime Rock Park.....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Brembos, just the stock enth. with cobalt friction pads. I didnt experience any fading until I got behind a VW GTI that I couldnt pass (he has 350hp, but he brakes way too early). I overheated my brakes a little when I had to brake hard to avoid him. Other than that, the brakes held up great with multiple 20 min. non-stop session. As much as I love the Cobalt Friction pads, they do have their drawbacks. They release some abrasive dusts and they squeek like ****. I am going to swap back to the stock ones once I find my wheel lock.

I think the only stock cars that can brake later than me are the Vettes and STI/EVO. Of course some of it has to do with drivers too, I will try to go in even deeper next time. The downshifting thing really gets me as I keep breaking my rear end loose under braking when i pop the clutch too fast

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back to Lime Rock the second time yesterday, weather was about 75F with 99% humidity. While the track was dry, but it was not perfect as it was very humid (slightly moist). I went back with the same car at 14800 miles and the only mods to the cars were Cobalt Friction F&R pads and 245/45/17 Falken Azenis RT-215 all around on stock rims. Time wise, I was able to beat my previous best with laps in the mid to high 1:06 range, but it was very hard to repeat the 1:06 time as the car was much harder to drive. Since the track condition was different, I cant say if it was caused by the tires or the track itself (last time i went it was 85F on the stock RE040). Overall, I know these Falkens have more grips as they squeel a lot less and i corner faster in most places. The car dont seem to brake as well as it did before, once again it could be the weather. Anyway just want to say the car is faster with the Azenis, and yes i did crack 1.06. I have a set of RT-615, but that wont go on the car till next year. I also have to invest in a new set of pads as i think these Cobalt Friction are done after TWO events

Good luck and stay away from the wall

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, I was just wondering. From your description of events it sounded like you werent heel-toeing. I figured I would ask and see since it is invaluable at the track. Most drivers who don't heel-toe try to go into turns as fast as possible but come out slow. Also where you said "The downshifting thing really gets me as I keep breaking my rear end loose under braking when i pop the clutch too fast" made me wonder. That should definitely not be happening if you are heel-toeing correctly. Any time you downshift you should maintain stability, not disrupt it. Sounds like you were having fun nonetheless. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of my friends had an STI until about a month ago (before I got my '06 Z) and all I hear is how he could beat me but it would be close if his car was stock. I'm curious to know did they do that much better than our good ole Z? They were stock STI's correct?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did heel-toe, but it's not simple to do it every lap. Occasionally I pop the clutch too fast or dont give it enough gas, car slides out a little bit. It's under control 99% of the time. I just have to be more consistant at it. It's hard to do heel to toe properly when I only have that split second to go from 5th to 3rd

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sorry, forgot to answer your question about STI vs. Z. Even stock to stock, the STI can easily outrun the Z by over a second a lap. The STI brakes faster, has more torque and corners the same speed as the Z. While the STI is heavier in terms of raw weight, but it feels much lighter than the Z. Also you have to remember the STI has much better tires. If you put the same tires on the Z, I am sure you can narrow the gap a little. Still regardless how you look at it, the STI is faster, not by a lot, but enough to make you feel like you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You must be completely comfortable with heel-toeing if you plan on being fast at the track. It's really not hard once you figure it out. Once you do it will come naturally and you won't even have to think about it.

Why do you go 5-3? Doing that I can see why you might have problems revmatching and downshifting. You should be working down through the gears instead. 5-4-3. There is no guesswork about where to meet the next gear and you won't need to double-clutch. You will also stop faster.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do go from 5th to 4th to 3rd, I meant to say I was in 5th gear and had to get down to 3rd gear under braking (with the use of 4th gear of course). I do heel to toe naturally, so thats not really a problem. The problem I have is getting the timing right so I can do the transaction smoothly lap after lap. One of the weird thing about the Z is the drive by wire, it seems so different than conventional gas pedal ( i used a turbo miata prior to the Z). The lack of resistance and feel makes it extremely hard to play.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hahaha, that will never happen. Best best best case scenrio, I will hit 1:01 on brand new Hoosiers or V710s. This car aint going into 1:01 in its current form, not with me as a driver anyway. I was 3rd overall out of all the cars, I was behind two EVOs. One had 400hp, the other had 500hp. It's kinda hard for me 287hp stock Z to keep up. It's not easy to pick up time once you hit a certain mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts