Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a '04 350Z for less than a month. Road noises are a lot louder in the cockpit than in my '86 300Z. I know tires can be an issue.

The 300Z has Yokohama A550Hs and the 350Z has Nitto NT555s.

Is it the tires, or is the 350Z generally louder?

BTW, just had my first opportunity to drive the Nittos in the rain (doesn't rain often in San Diego) and I thought they were great! And on dry pavement they really stick in the corners.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
:dunno: I've never been in a Z31 so I don't know how much noise it makes. And I don't know about the Nittos, but I don't think the stock Potenzas make it too bad

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Funny that you should mention noise. My Z had been sitting for a week until today, and I noticed little squeaks here and there. I attribute those to the cold weather (I thought I could hear styrafoam rubbing), low tire pressure, and the fact that I was listening carefully.

I think the tire brand or composition has a significant relation to road noise. I've heard of people saying that once they bought different tires, the noise seemed to lessen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tire tread pattern can make a big difference. I also think that they used less dampening material to keep the weight down. I've heard that some people have put Dynamat material behind the plastic wheel liners for improved acoustics.

I had a '90 300ZX for 9 years and it was much quieter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts