Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I am looking to drop my monthly payments. I was purchasing my last z for 550$ a month.. I can do a 3-4 yr lease for 330-350$ a month. This looks enticing as it takes some stress off the pocket book every month.

Now at the end i have basically 2 options:

a. purchase car

b. turn car in

If i decide to keep the car how much more am I spending compared to buy it outright? 2k? 5k? 8k?

I like the idea because something better may come along that I would like to switch to, but I also like that I can decide to keep it..

I have never done this before so please help/warn me now.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Here is a link to a lease calculator that is very easy to use. Put in the purchase price, including sales tax and license. Start with a 5% interest rate. You can figure your monthly payments based on whatever term and down payment you want to use. I would guess that the residual (end of lease value) ought to be about 45% of the purchase price on a 48 month lease. This is the wild card. Play with the end of lease value and you will see how much it changes the payment amount. It should not really cost you any more in the long run to buy the car at the end of the lease, than to purchase it oughtright, taking into account the "time value of money."

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/cgi-bin/lease....&page=calc_home

I like leasing. I bought my '95 E36 M3 at the end of its lease because it was worth much more than the residual.

For the payment you want, I think you are looking at an Enthusiast model and a fairly long term. Try the calculator.

If you talk to a bank or leasing company and get some actual figures, I can help you figure out which is the best deal.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I don't know if they allow you to modify a leased car, but I am doing it anyway. If push comed to shove, I will just buy the car for the residual at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well under the lease it says that you must bring the car in for the scheduled servicing? does that mean they have to do all the servicing or can i do it? or what?

i think a red flag might get raised when i take it in for the 10k mile checkup with a 15psi greddy turbo setup and forged internals?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
There is no law that says you have to have your regular maintenance service done at a Nissan dealer.

In Southern California, we have Performance Nissan in Duarte. They are "cool" to modding, and in fact have sold me and installed several of mine.

The big issue for me at the end of the lease is, do I keep the car or sell it? If I am keeping it there are no issues (other than coming up with the cash to pay the approx. $15,000 residual on my loaded Track model).

If I want to give it back to the leasing company, I have to remove all the mods, which is an expensive proposition. The cams alone would cost $600 to reinstall. I kept all the stock parts (even the core plenum), except for the stock exhaust, which was too **** big to drive home from the dealer.

If I decide to sell it, will it be worth more than a bone stock car if I leave all the mods on it? Will there be any value in selling the used mod parts if I take them off?

In the past, the most I have ever done to mod a car is suspension work and an engine chip. The Z is my first experience with serious modding. I guess I will find out. My lease is not up until March 1, 2007.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts