Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get a laptop for when i get into outpatient clinic. i was looking at the Mac's G4 powerbook but they are so dang expensive. my other option was to look at the Dell 5150 notebook, which comes out to about $1500. i really just want to be able to watch DVD's (that i got form seminars) and work on basic business things, such as my business plan. i really wanted a Mac but i ant make up my mind, so any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
If you get a Mac I will go there and smack you upside the head. Haha. Get a cheap Dell with 3 years at-home service. You'll be set

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Macs are great for graphics and looking pretty. Dells are great for service. I've always questioned the hardware Apple uses, and lately Dell hasn't been buying the highest quality stuff, but Dell handles bad hardware much better.

Example:
A few years ago I worked in an office with a Mac that we used for video compression. We experienced a problem with shutting down after it went into stand by. We mentioned it to a guy we knew from Apple who said "Oh yeah, it's a bad motherboard. A bunch of them shipped that way."

Then, about 18 months ago I purchased a Dell laptop. Six months later, Dell called me up and said "There may be performance issues with the motherboard in your laptop, we're going to ship a new one out to you."

In Apple's case, they knew about the bad hardware, but did nothing until we mentioned it to them. In Dell's case, they sent me a new motherboard without me so much as saying a word.</span>

·
Registered
232 Posts
personally i would go with toshiba.. ive had one for 2.5 years now not one problem with it.. quality is great for the amount of money spent on it. take a look at some, i would recommend them !!! dell is also good, but if u ran into some problems, the tech support is someone where it would rack up ur long distance bill, toshiba i believe have locations close to or even in texas. correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Bottom line...

Macs lock up more than Intel based PCs/laptops do now. MS has come a long way, but Apple hasn't. WinXP Pro is a very stable OS. Mac's OS X.x is not. Just as DiRN said, the only thing Macs are good for are video and 3D rendering.

Take it from me, 2 years ago I bought a G3 700MHz iBook for about $1600...it's the biggest POS I've ever owned. 1. It constantly locks, even after I reinstalled the OS. 2. It's slower than what I expected. Mac always bragged about how their lower MHz processors could outperform Intel's processors of higher MHz. Bullsh*t. 3. after about a year and a half, my battery is shot. It will not hold a charge. I don't often use it with out being plugged in, so it's not like a wore it out. When I charge up the battery all the way and unplug it from the wall, it lasts about 5 minutes, the shuts down.

A little credentials.....I've been working with/on computers, servers, and networks since about '93. It's my job and my hobby.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have a HP ZE4000 series that I bought last September. There were a few problems which were fixed by tech support (updating drivers and such). I like it, but I think it's a little slow. It has the AMD chip (better than Intel, imo), but I don't think the video card or RAM is enough. I don't use it for business, mostly personal (movies, web, pics, etc) so I don't expect much.

I agree with dtm-bob, Toshibas are pretty good. Haven't really heard anything bad about them. My dad swears by his. Also, I recommend buying the extended warranty. Trust me...it will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by dtm-bob@Aug 9 2004, 10:27 AM
personally i would go with toshiba.. ive had one for 2.5 years now not one problem with it.. quality is great for the amount of money spent on it. take a look at some, i would recommend them !!! dell is also good, but if u ran into some problems, the tech support is someone where it would rack up ur long distance bill, toshiba i believe have locations close to or even in texas. correct me if im wrong.

I used to love Toshibas too. But now is the worst time to buy them. Most of my company got new Toshibas about 12 - 18 months ago. One by one, they have all experienced harddrive crashes, failed system boards (there are two, and Toshiba only allows shops to replace one at a time), and shifting video cards (they come dislodged easily). Up until this mess, Toshiba was always number 2 on my list (behind Dell).

A lot of manufacturers seem to be buying sh!tty hardware for their laptops right now. Which is why I recommend Dell. I generally get my new part in the mail before the place that repairs everyone's Toshibas does, which means that I'm up and running again faster.

And Dell's Tech Support has always been a toll-free number and the company (not the Tech Support) is based out of Texas I believe.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Oh yeah, and like Smooth said, extend the warranty, on whatever you get. Laptop parts aren't cheap. And it's nice to know that if something goes wrong, it'll be fixed. The thing I like about Dell is that you can get At-Home Service. I don't mind installing the new hardware myself, but sometimes it's nice to make someone come here and do it so I can be lazy.

Oh, and I used to provide support on student's computers at a school that required the use of laptops, so I saw plenty of them. Believe me, the people with warranties were the happiest.

But seriously, if you're not looking to really push the laptop to it's limits, Dell, Toshiba, HP/Compaq, eMachines even, I really don't think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Stay away, far away from eMachines of any form!!!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by Lo Fi Ched@Aug 9 2004, 02:20 PM
Stay away, far away from eMachines of any form!!!

Are they really that bad? I only know one person who has one, and as far as I know, it's been pretty problem free

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've heard nothing but people having bad trouble with them. Also my dad had one and he had to have it repaired like 3 times. He finally ended up getting an HP, but he didn't have anyone helping him (outside of the sales guy) so he didn't buy a good model (he had some minor trouble with it, which was taken care of). I got on his case about that one. He didn't consult me when he bought the eMachine and he had all that trouble, then he bought the HP without consulting me and had some trouble with that one too. I told him not to ever buy anything like that again without me there. He doesn't know anything about computers and I made my career with computers. I still don't know why he never asked me.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
We have 2 Dell's, 2 HP's, and one Compaq, the HP's have been better than the Dell, Dell wasn't very good when we needed help. HP was great with customer service, plus they are REALLY FAST, it only took them about 2 or 3 days to replace an lcd screen on my handheld. Although somehow they shipped it back to the wrong person, luckily the person was honest (but had opened it) and dropped it off at my house (nothing was missing either).

AND with the HP laptop, I broke the power plug-in port and my Dad tried to solder it, but didn't do it right so it didn't work. I admitted to HP that we had tried to fix it and failed, and it was still under warranty, which I thought they wouldn't do. However, my brother broke his Dell 8200 laptop screen, and it took Dell almost 2 weeks to fix it and send it back.
I would never get a Gateway again, we've had one and it absolutely SUCKED! I hear Toshiba is pretty good.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx guys i really do appreciate it, i will check into the toshibas and back at the dell. i have a dell now and love it havent had no probelms and it is over 2 1/2 yrs old. i would never get a gateway again!!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The key with dell is the At-Home Service. If I call Dell around 11pm, I will have whatever it is I need at my door in 2 business days usually. And the technician is usually available in 2 or 3 days. You get the service you pay for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a toshiba M200 about 6 months ago, and my experience with it has been excellent. I bought it on recommendations from quite a few people that said toshiba was the way to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts