Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, well here is our long awaited project, our new complete intake manifold.

Some may remembers pics of an all aluminum manifold from over a year ago, well there have been many reasons it has taken this long. This project has been very difficult, with many failed prototypes.

The following pictures are of our prototype, which will be VERY similar to the full production version, which we should have pics within 2 weeks. This prototype has a coating on it, while the production version will initially only be offered in a full polished product.

There is a long standing board member who has done independant testing with FI, who will be posting within the next couple days with impressions, graphs, etc. The numbers will speak for themselves.

This manifold clearly shines with FI, but will also give great high rpm gains with NA. We are still awaiting final testing numbers with NA, and are also testing it with increased REV limit up to 7100, as the car continues to pull past 6500rpm with this new manifold. Also expect increased throttle response, as it is a much more efficient design.

The factory upper and lower plenum have several flaws in their design, we believe mainly because of space and location limitations. The factory design has air flow coming first over the top, running over many turbulent spots in the lower plenum. Then the air must turn direction again before going into the intake runners. We feel our design has all smooth transitions for a more efficient design. We also use slightly larger and slightly shorter runners to gain hp up top with very minimal losses below 4k rpm. The manifold also features internal velocity stack inlets for each runner, increasing air flow.

*This manifold WILL clear the factory strut bar and most (possibly all) aftermarket strut bars.
*factory engine cover will NOT work with this manifold, however we are currently developing an AWESOME engine cover to complement the manifold

** major change from the previous versions is that this manifold is actually made from stainless steel, not aluminum. We had several reasons for doing this, and think that it offers the best product for you guys.

- Stainless steel conducts about 13 times less heat than aluminum!!! - this means far less heat soak, and cooler intake temps
- We are able to achieve a a better and more durable polished finish on stainless.
- Space is LIMITED under that hood, especially since it clears the strut bar, and we are able to use thinner material in sections, maximizing plenum volume.
- Stainless was not used as any type of cost cutting, as it is considerably more expensive.

AVAILABILITY, this is not a teaser post, we are already in the process of completing the first batch, we will most likely be running a group buy once we have pics of the polished product. This should be within 2 weeks. Pricing will be in the $700-800 range, which we think will be VERY competitive, especially considering the difficulty of fabrication.

This is just the first post, so please ask any questions, as I am sure I have not covered everything.

SungNamZ's Z with Kinetix prototype...
<a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SungNamZ/KinetixPrototypeInstallation017.jpg' target='_new'></a>

Dyno's...
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SungNamZ/KinetixV4andPrototypeDynoResults033.jpg');}" />

Highest number that day...
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SungNamZ/KinetixPrototypeDynoResults001.jpg');}" />

His mods...excluding the new plenum...
Vortech SC, Zeitronix Wideband A/F Meter, Borla True Dual Exhaust, Random Technology High Flow Cats, Koni Shocks, Eibach Springs , 350EVO Sways, SSR GT3 18" X 9.0" with Michelin "Pilot Sport" PS2 245/40 Front - 265/40 Rear, EBC V4 "Greenstuff Sport" Pads, Z-Enterprise Max Grounding Kit, StrictlyZ SS Full Air Guide, NGK Iridium Plugs LFR6A1X-11, JSC Speed "Perrin Shorty Antenna", Passport 8500 X50 Radar Detector, JDM Clear Side Markers and Autoglym

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
So SungnamZ did this? Congrats, Ron! :clap: You have one good looking car, so I'm sure you're excited about this.

What the **** is this? "...internal velocity stack inlets..."

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/quote]

Dave, you can't imagine how hard this has been to keep this quite. Only a few in Albuquerque knew I had this under my hood. Took Jason for a ride. More rwhp than he has with his 6SP with Vortech SC. My rev limit is 7100+ and as you can see, I was at 388+ at 6900 and it was still climbing.

Tried to initiate a thread/post when Kinetix alerted me they were doing an offical post, but could not post "photobucket" pics. Glad to see that someone took the effort. If you can give me some advice on how to make it happen, I would monitor questions on the site.

It is AWESOME! The throttle response is NOW!

·
Registered
35 Posts
"What the **** is this?" You remove the upper plenum (i.e. OEM, Kinetix V4 or others), plus remove the lower intake manifold) and install the Kinetix "NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD".

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
:lol: I was wondering what a velocity stack inlet was, but I didn't know that was another name for the manifold. Or is the inlet something else inside the manifold? You have a PM.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I'll bet it was difficult to keep that under wraps...bada$$ looking. Nice to see another 5AT pushing the whp on up there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/quote]

"keep that under wraps" was very hard! Kinetix/lsdunique must have thought I was becoming a pain in the a$$. I install and dyno in late February and they make NO announcement until 7 April. I was happy with 333 rwhp, but 388+ rwhp at 6900 rpms in this 5AT make me EXTREMELY HAPPY!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished product. Looks great for sure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
SmoothZ,

The velocity inlets refer not to the whole thing, but only on portion of the intake manifold. Imagine a tube like the imtake runners in the picture. Now, flare one end of the tube so that it swells out in a exponential way. That is a velocity stack. It helpts to get air moving in a large volume to squeeze into a small volume without giving up airflow rate. The "flare" actually helps to accelerate the air, hence "velocity stack". Since the volume is smaller but the velocity is higher, the airflow rate is the same as the large space.

The JWT popcharger is a filter and a aluminum "donut" that is actually a velocity stack. The reason it works so well is because the velocity stack helps to get the air moving up the tube better.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But here are a couple answers.

All the runners are the SAME length overall, so yes some are staggered

** the factory lower plenum runners are not the same length!! , this may have been due to space limitations but they are different by around .5"

We may in the future offer additional "bung" welding for nitrous, injectors, etc.

The manifold does come with 1 extra 1/8" npt bung with plug welded in.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested to see what it will look like with their engine cover on.

Maybe this is a good excuse for AEM to make some fuel rails now since you can see them with this. :biggrin:

·
Registered
35 Posts
[/quote]

Lets see what I can do. Been doing most of my posting on my350z, but want to thank those that moved pics from my350Z to this site!

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SungNamZ/KinetixPrototypeInstallation016.jpg');}" />

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SungNamZ/KinetixPrototypeDynoResults006.jpg');}" />

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/SungNamZ/KinetixV4andPrototypeDynoResults033.jpg');}" />

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
our current NA numbers have it losing ZERO peak torque, we are only trying to massage the powerband before releasing NA numbers.

We have already achieved decent gains in NA.  Also realize that true, you wont spend a lot of time in 6500-7000, however the Z makes its peak power between 6000 and 6400.  So in factory form, you dont get a lot of useable room of peak hp before hitting the rev limit.

Our manifold has been pulling hard past 6000 rpm, and keeps climbing while the factory manifold really drops off after 6400.  This is all in NA.  So we are trying to shift the power curve down slightly, and we are definately going to look at numbers with an increased rev limiter.  The rev limit increase will by no means be a requirement, but we want to see the entire power curve to give us and everyone else as much info as possible regarding its potential.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification! They way you described it really helped me visualize it. I can actually understand how the flare works.

Now for my shameless plug: So the intake manifold replaces both the upper and lower plenum? Am I going to regret this mod?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts