Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its kind of a kill story..I finally went to the drag strip with my car and the 530 ponies I had with me,strapped on a set of Mickey Thomson Drag radials and managed to break "something" in my drive line. :doh: I did a killer burnout and got the tires nice and sticky,and trust me for drag radials they are STICKY.Staged up against a 5.0 mustang who was dialed in at 12.45. I dialed in at 12.5 expecting to simply toy with him all the way down the track as I usually cut pretty good lights and know my car is low 11 capable. Well I staged up,had my music pumping to keep my cool, as I was about to eat some horse for dinner..I revved it to about 4500rpms and as the light fell I slipped out the clutch and began to hook and BOOM :doh: A loud noise came from the rear and the car would not move...I have do clue what it is at this time what broke but Im thinking I blew the rear or both half shafts at the same time.By buddy has it on video and it appears that there is a flash that comes from underneath the car about where the transmission mounts.Im hoping I did not tear up the splines that go into the crank shaft, that would be VERY costly to repair. Ill keep you guys updated as I find out what happened.I pretty much expected to break something, but not first run :nana: oh well, break it,build it stronger.. :irock:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Cheap R&D if you ask me, if it breaks, replace it with something bigger! I was waitin for this to be honest.. with all these engine upgrades and no rear end upgrades, it was bound to happen.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for being a pioneer! guess we are finally reaching the limits of the drive train.
Well, the limits of the drivetrain on sticky tires..Traction can be your best friend and worst enemy. :doh:

·
Registered
790 Posts
could you fit something like a Ford 9" back there? something that can handle a little more power?

~Z~

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
One thing to note. You have been dragging your car far along time now. Could it be that repeated abuse over a few years just caught up? At this point, can we really tell if the higher power numbers really caused the problem, or was the part on the verge of breaking anyways?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
With those numbers you were pushing, it was bound to happen.

Keep us updated on what went wrong and what you go with! :thumbsup: :yourock:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
could you fit something like a Ford 9" back there? something that can handle a little more power?

~Z~

We saw a 78 280z with an LS-1 v-8 at the Goodguys this weekend....the owner had broken one of the stock halfshafts at the track, then upgraded to Q45 halfshafts...not so sure that'd be an upgrade here, tho... Just a historical precedent for a weak IRS. :doh:

& don't worry, there will always be plenty of rustangs to line up against....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Im glad to tell you guys it was only a half shaft that snapped clean in half. Took about an hour to replace and luckily we had some spare parts from our wrecked Z.Here are some pics,note how clean it snapped..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts