Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:doh: Just got my daytona blue 350Z father's day weekend of last year. Add minor mods to it (i.e. alum brushed dash kit and18" rims) and drove it very little (746 miles). Just discovered a few months back that I am going to have another child due in late July (total of 2).

My problem is that I have another Z (72-240Z) sitting in my garage along with the 350Z. My daily/winter beater is a 90 honda civic dx. My wife got an 05 toyota matrix which will be great for taking two kids to places, but the civic, well I don't know how long it will last plus is not as reliable. It would be a great deal of difficulty if I don't have a more reliable car to transport the two kids, especial during the winter time.

My wife is pushing me to trade the 350Z in for a sport sedan (evo8, altima SER, sentra SER, corrolla XRS or other sedans of my choice) where I can drive it everyday and it would be more practical for the family. She is making a lot of sense, but....

I am now in the middle of a crossroad. What should I do?

Any advice will do! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you've had the Z for over a year you've put a lot of money into it in just payments. Ditch the Civic and get a more reliable beater.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I can't believe you still have that 240! If you're not driving it, sell it. You have a perfectly drivable Z that is reliable. You have a family car. That's all you need.

I have 3 kids, a minivan, the Z, and just recently got a used Jeep. Before the Jeep, I switched between the Z and van. On my time off, we all piled into the van. My wife stays at home raising the boys. When she needed the van, I took the Z.

Don't get rid of the Z!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't have kids but along with the Z we have an Explorer SportTrac. I've found that as long as you have ONE other vehicle that can hold more than 2 people, the Z is fine.

If you REALLY need 2 reliable 4-door cars then I guess you can settle for an STI or EVO. But given the weather you have to deal with in MN....those would reasonable choices.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
BTW, if you really have to get rid of the Z, are you going to sell your mods?

Get rid of the Honda and 240Z.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree, if your not driveing the 240, sell it along with the honda. I don't have kids, but my wife has a Jeep Rubicon and that is what I drive when weather is bad.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Your first mistake was having kids... Second was only driving the Z 700 miles.. :)

You have spent at alot of money on the z just to use it for 700 miles.. (the engine isnt even broken in!)

I dont know what the 240 mean to you, but unless its a collectors item i would sell the 240 and the civic, and get a more current civic for a beater/kid mover..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Don't even think about selling the 240z. you will regret that much more than if you have to give up the 350z. If I was in your position, I would try to upgrade the beater to a more reliable 4 door. In the future you can always get the newest Z out, but finding another 240Z will not be as easy.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That 240 is so far from original, it's not a collector item anymore. It's a beast of a machine. I don't think it's reliable, plus it's a money pit (from what I've heard). :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:clap:

Wow! Lots of wonderful and useful suggestions. Please keep it coming. I would love to present these suggestions to the wife.

2 ALL Z owners! :yourock: !

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Don't forget the old adage though man: If she's not happy, you're not getting laid....uh, I mean, HAPPY! Yeh, that's it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lol, then you ought to tell her it's time for YOU to be happy (it'll save you money on another kid, and you'll get to keep the Z too!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since you have only put 700+ miles on it in the past 9 months, means you aren't that committed to it so get rid of it and get a nice sporty sedan. You can always get another Z in about twenty years, when the kids are grown.
Seriously I sold my silver Porshe coupe in 1966 for the same reason. Think of the horsepower in the 2020 Model!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
paperjohn

Interesting perspective, but...

Quite honestly I think I am too committed to it. Trying to make good use of & enjoy each and every mile of it. I didn't want to just get in it and go from point A to point B without a purpose. That I can easily do with my winter beater or my wife's...but with the Z, it has got to be special. Example: My birthday, wife's birthday and last day before storage.

Oh! By the way...did you know that Minnesota only has too seasons--Winter and road construction. If you have a passion for a car, there aren't alot of places or time to enjoy driving it here.

Paperjohn, so you mean to tell me that you have no regret letting your porche go 30 some plus years ago. Imagine how cool it would be for you to have it in a almost perfect condition! I think you would totally ROCK!

Thanks for the imput!

I love both of my Zs...just want to do the right thing. At this point, I am not sure what that might be.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to make those kind of decisions. It might be that you need to sell it and get something more practical. I am leaning towards keeping it, but i'm not in your shoes (think God!). You have to do what is best for you and your family. Just pray about it.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well, if you decide to sell it and need OEM wheels, I'm interested in a trade!

·
Registered
162 Posts
well here. You can check out my situation. i am kind of in the same but a little different. I am only 19 and I own my own 03 Z touring. BUut my problem is, I drive a lot with more than 1 person in my car. This is why my mom bought me a 93 volvo 850. volvo's are super reliable and they hold five people. Perfect family car. the car only cost 3600 and it had 108k miles on it. My car is reliable! ive seen volvos run way longer than hondas and toyotas. if you can afford all of your cars, i bet you can trade in the honda and 240 or even just buy a 4k dollar car like I did so you can hold on to yur 350 beccause as long as u have one car with back seats and your wife has anotehr... keep your z. i was debating on trading in my z for a four door such as a wrx or so, but i have the volvo so it truly doesnt matter cuz i love my Z .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts