Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the KDW2s now on my 2005 350Z (Touring). Stock 18" sizes.

What tire pressures are you running in your KDW2s, if you have them. The stock door-panel pressure seems a tad low, based on driving the car for 2K miles with these tires, and noting the feel at different pressures.

I'm runnign 36psi cold, now, and seeing "hot" temps as high as 41. Seems like the car looses the crispness of turn-in when 35psi or less, and seems to not hold the corners nearly as well.

Driving is probably 50% mountain curves, and 50% highway driving.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have KDW-2s on the rear, and keep them at about 34-35 p.s.i. cold. They usually warm up to 38 p.s.i.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running 36 psi cold, and seeing pressures of 40 or so hot. Also noticing that when I drive a bit spiritedly, they smell pretty good like burnt rubber.

I think I need to temper back my driving some, if I want the tires to last (stockers lasted 18K in the rear before 0/32s of tread left, fronts were at 2/32s or so).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:doh: Aren't they made of rubber? :) What do you mean by this?
Yes, they're made of rubber, but all the other cars/tires I've driven/on haven't smelled like I left a significant quantity of them back behind me on the road (even when I had). Whereas these always smell like hot rubber (wife's commented on it when it wafted into the house once...) after driving, even less spiritedly. Tire tread depth gauge doesn't seem to indicate that I'm wearing them off excessively fast, but then the stock tires would just pill up instead of heating, so this might actually be a good thing...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you ever had summer tires/high performance tires on a car before? They tend to wear faster, and that would make me want to assume you'd smell more rubber. I do notice a more rubbery smell after driving w/ this car more than others :dunno: That's my take on it anyhow.
Actually, no. But my 4x4 had some pretty soft compound tires for a while (lasted <20K), and rarely got any smell from them. Same with the stock potenzas (also <20K miles).

If it's par, that's fine (perfectly fine). I'd rather know it's just the way they are than that I'm really going to tear through the tires in a hurry...

Although being treadwear 300 vs the 140s of the potenzas has me hoping they'll last a bit longer...

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
can't really go by the treadwear numbers between differnent makes. Everybody does their testing differently. So difficult comparisons.

It's weird, i've never smelled any strange smell coming from teh tires.. Other than like a hint of a warm smell.. but nothing abnormal or burning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts