Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Kaboom! Kshep's VQ35 Destruction

15K views 82 replies 38 participants last post by  dave079 
#1 ·
Well Kenny's car is down here in the shop. We pulled the motor and well you guys can see for your self what happened. As best we know the last rotation this motor was made at 8.5psi and who knows what RPM.

Here's the pics

See less See more
#12 ·
[/quote]
Pre-ingition...detonation...running a untuned F/I motor at higher rpm and boost than the engine management systems were prepared for. The shop I left the car with decided to road test an installation prior to tuning and this was the result.

I am pursuring legal recourse so I can't comment on that situation right now. I had babied the car and installed every safety measure I could get my hands for a year to get ready for tuning....made the wrong choice on where to take her...but she's on the road to recovery now and in capable hands again.

I hope these pics will in some way help prevent failures of this type for other members who chose to modify their motors with forced induction.

#13 ·
The engine was blown do to pre ignition. the rod bolts were fine so were the bearings and the oiling system looks fine well other than the aluminum shreds in the oil pan. PS tuning was not done at GSC on this car nor was it done by Kenny we have a 3rd source to thank for the destruction.

Kenny's patientence with GSC has been wounderfull as his car blew up in December and we moved to our new location in charleston in late January and just now opened the shop to pull out his motor and start the rebuild. We have all new parts for the car and should have her back together and running in a week or so.

#14 ·
[/quote]

I was informed that the motor blew on November 30th....took a month to arrange safe transportation...another couple of months to get all of the parts and personnel lined up.

Many thanks to Greg at GSC Motorsports for his unwavering assistance and patience.

#15 ·
That's scary! :OMG: I can't possibly imagine what that feels like or sounds like to have your 'pride and joy' blow up on you.

Good luck! I hope we can see a happy ending to all of this! In fact, I hope to see it at Zdayz.

#17 ·
Ugh..That is almost too painful to look at. Sorry to hear what had happened Kenny but thanks for sharing the experience. Best of luck with the rebuild.

#18 ·
Ouch Kenny....can't wait to see it built up though!

Are the parts that you have in your sig. going to be installed?

What Carrillo rods did you get? (A-Beam or H-Beam?)

#19 ·
[/quote]

Whats the major parts in the rebuild, what can you salvage out of the blown motor?
<div align="right">[snapback]82540[/snapback]
[/quote]

Heads if he's lucky & it looks like the major components of the TT itself.
I knew you were in trouble when you told me that you left it for tuning, but was hoping for the best. Let me know what I can do to give you a hand & it will be done.

#21 ·
[/quote]
Pre-ingition...detonation...running a untuned F/I motor at higher rpm and boost than the engine management systems were prepared for. The shop I left the car with decided to road test an installation prior to tuning and this was the result.
<div align="right">[snapback]82516[/snapback]
[/quote]

KShep, Very sorry to see this engine destruction and I sincerely hope this situation turns out well for you and that your new engine/performance provides many years of enjoyment for you. :cheers:

Peter

#23 ·
Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

Brandon...the rods a "A" beam....supposed to be good for 100hp each and we're tuning for 400whp. Everything in my sig except the rods & pistons were in my car when she blew. Well, there was a J&S in there...but not anymore.

I'm sure Greg will post ups more pics as the rebuild gets under way.

#26 ·
[/quote]

Guess you just proved tha the J&S is a steamy pile o' **** and doesnt work..Good luck with the rebuild.
<div align="right">[snapback]82649[/snapback]
[/quote]

It may seem as if I'm pointing a finger at the J&S...but I'm not really. There are several owners who are using the unit with good results and John has been very helpful. We're just going a different route to pull timing when we tune her this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.