Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my first mod on my 2003 track Z. I had a couple of issues along the way.
I cracked one of the plastic mounting brackets on the housing surrounding the MAF. However the pop charger seems to hold to the hose very well regardless with only three brackets. Other than that the install when pretty well. I have been reading up on this prior to install and I disconnected the negative battery terminal before beginning the process. After I finished I started the Z and revved her up. At low throttle positions when I quickly punch and release the accelerator I get a sharp, sort of high pitched, buzzing sound. It also occurs while driving, at mid and full throttle, during bursts of acceleration. Also after the installation there was moist visible air coming out of the tailpipes when punching the accelerator. I was wondering if anyone had any similar issues, particularly with the sound I am hearing. I have never heard a JWT Charger before but I am guessing this sound isn't normal. Being that I have extremely limited mechanical knowledge I would greatly appreciate any feedback. The one good thing about my install seems to be that the check engine light didn't go on afterwards. I am contemplating resetting the ECU regardless, because if I understand correctly it can potentially learn to adjust to the new volume of air flow after reset? Thanks for any help in advance.

Rich
Long Island, NY

·
Registered
300 Posts
The whistle/buzz is normal. Just the sound of air sucking in. Mine does it at certain throttle levels but not at others. Seems common from what I have heard. I think it sounds cool, like a jet.

As for the CPU reset, I did nothing and it seems to have adjusted just fine. Others disconnect the battery to get a manual reset. Not sure if it matters.

As for "moist air" coming out of the exhaust, I have no idea. As far as I know mine does not do this but I have only seen it drive past me twice as I usually am driving it. No one has told me that it does this either. I would think it might have something to do with the mixture not being quite right yet until the CPU adjusts itself. I would give it a few hundred miles to reset or manually reset it with the battery disconnect and see if it still does it.

Or maybe someone else can help. The JWT POP charger is very popular and I think for good reason so don't worry about making the wrong choice. Just take her out at around 4000 rpm in second gear then stomp on the throttle and listen to the music (and watch the slow pokes disappear from your view - he he).

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just installed mine last weekend. I did not disconnect the battery and everything is working perfectly. gas mileage is unchanged as well.

You may be hearing a vibrating buz from your heat shield if you don't have it installed properly.

Grab hold of it and have someone rev it up and see if the sound disappears.

The correct sound is a sweet and solid snort.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't think the moist air is related to the popcharger. I get that on my Explorer sometimes and it's just due to the car being cold vs. the outside temperature. I don't think the intake is causing anything odd to happen. I see that often on lots of cars here in the Northwest.

I have a CAI but essentially the JWT is similar so it should "whistle" or "whine" in the mid-range revs and growl at higher revs.

BTW, nice year/color/trim. :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
make sure that there are NO leaks in the MAF housing. If there are cracks that go all the way through the housing then epoxy or JB weld it. Cracks will alter the how much o2 the engine gets verses how much the sensors detect.

sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts