Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does JWT only make one set of cams for both NA and FI or do they make seperate cams? And what are the benefits of cryo treating cams?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
depends on what they mean by cryo treatment. If you just toss them under ice it will do nothing. If you heat them up to glowing red-hot and toss them into a freeze you will get super hardened steel. i dont see a benefit for cams.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Does JWT only make one set of cams for both NA and FI or do they make seperate cams? And what are the benefits of cryo treating cams?

1 set.

It makes them stronger. It slows down the molecular structure, so heat doesn't effect it as much.

Usually this is done to other parts like the crankshaft. Parts that have to stand up to heat and stress. That way if you spin a bearing, it doesn't score the crank.

I have never cyro treated camshafts. Just the crankshaft in my 3sgte.

Deep cryogenic treating is a one-time, homogenous process that permanently and dramatically improves the performance and useful life of metals in everything from brake rotors and performance engines to machine tools and gun barrels. Using a proprietary computer-controlled process, the metal is cooled slowly to deep cryogenic temperatures (-300°F), and slowly returned to room temperature, then heat-tempered as the final step. Computer technology allows us to regulate temperatures to 1 degree, accurately manipulating our Cryo treatment in accordance with the mass of your parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts