Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello My name is Cajun. I have owned many sports cars including a 1994, 1997 and 2000 Cobra, 1997 C5 Corvette, 2000 Honda S2000, and 2000 C5 Corvette. I was originally a Ford guy that loved Cobras and thought that I would stay with Mustangs FOREVER......................Until I got my first C5. I love the Corvette and recently sold my 2000 before changing stations due to military orders. I did not ever modify any of my cars until the S2000 which I added CAI, exhaust, front lip and some DIY mods. I traded the S2000 for the 2000 C5 after realizing that I could not accept the lack of torque even thought the S was a great little (go cart like) car.

When I got the 2000 C5 I went mod crazy. It started with appearance stuff like custom interior, painted engine bay and many different sets of 18, 19 and 20 inch wheels of all types and finishes. After I felt that I could not go any further with the "show" stuff I turned to performance. Slowly I got all the bolt ons (headers, intake, exhaust, throttle body, 3:73 gears, torque converter etc. I never planned on going any further than bolt ons but as I became board running low 12s I decided to go internal and replaced the cam, pushrods, oil pump, UD pulley and dual valve springs. That got me to [email protected] MPH (384 RWHP/425 RWTQ) but that was still not enough I wanted to get into the 10s so finally decided to go with a 100 shot of NX N2O. This got me to [email protected] MPH (502 RWHP/641 RWTQ). Once I hit 10s I was bored and as I said was on orders to move from NC to NY. I sold the car because my wife agreed that when I returned from NY (Afghanistan/Iraq) or wherever I was going to be for the next couple of years that I could get whatever car I wanted. I am leaning toward the new C6 corvette (if the prices come down by Jan 07). I plan to buy my next sports car in the winter since prices are usually lower then. The issue is that buying a first year C6 might be taking a chance with the bugs of any first year model (just as the 1997 C5 was).

Anyway I really like the looks of the 350Z and my only concern is do I have the money to buy a TT or SC Z that will perform like a 03 ZO6 or 05 C6 (my two other choices). I have been tracking cars for sale on here and on Ebay for a couple of weeks now and have decided that IF I decide on the Z I want the silver Z vert with the black top. I have seen a couple with the black/gunmetal wheels, lowered and tinted and LOVE the sleek, sexy look of the car.

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and give some background on my experience with performance cars. I of course will not be very active in posting since I am not an owner. I will mostly be reading and learning from you guys regarding mods and results.

Cajun

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like another gearhead here. :clap: We could use as many of those around as possible. :thumbsup:

You can definitely buy a used Z and build her up to compete with Vettes, Cobras, Camaros and other F-body cars. Check out the forced induction section to read what some people have to say from personal experience. You will be looking at prices ranging from a minimum of $5000 for the kit (and there are many SC and TT out there), and several thousand more for upgraded internals and install/tuning.

My suggestion is to 'lurk' in the FI section and read up, add comments or questions, and visit some of the vendor sites to see what kind of deals they have. There's a lot of good people on this site who use the vendors and get pretty good service.

Good luck and stick around.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Wow. That's a heavily modded Vette. I really hope the Z, even TT, could meet up to standards.

You can TT your Z when you get it, but to push any kind of power over about 400hp, you have to build the engine. That's an expensive and time-consuming task. The Z will be a lovely track car if you build it right though. Check out this thread about how to TT your Z correctly the first time. It may be some help to you :thumbsup:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6654

:welcome: to the site! Enjoy your stay and ask as many questions as you would like!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome gentlemen! If and when I buy a used Z I will look for something already blown, turboed and tuned. I learned the hard way with the vette that it costs a whole lot more to do it myself. I will let someone else deal with the headaches of getting it right. I have seen some really attractive deals on here when looking through the for sale section.

Cajun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts