Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the right place for this topic or not. Just wanted to let you know that my name is Derek Sabol, I am 16 & also a very proud owner of an 06 GT Z. So now your probably thinking, spoiled kid blah blah blah. Well infact the reason I am posting is to let you know that I am in fact making the full payments for the car and paying for part of the insurance. The reason I am able to and to the "fyi" part of this topic is because...I race. I ran at Daytona Motor Speedway the last part of January in a class called GS in the Grand Am Cup series. I qualified horrible due to electrical problems. I was running in a Porsche 996, and the whole weekend ended up turning into a disaster, finishing a horrible 38th :-<. I did show up for test days about 2 weeks prior to the race and was in a different car then what I raced (but the same team) and was about 3 seconds faster then when I returned to race. So basically if you would have taken my practice times, and put them into race weekend qualifiying times I probably would have qualified about 15th. It was my 1st race in a GT car. I was a little dissapointed not in myself really but in the car. I have come into Grand Am with a lot of experience. I raced go karts from 8 until about 13. And then from 13 to 15 I ran a Formula renault. I will be running the next race in Grand Am Cup, which is VIR but instead of running wtih team Sahlen I will be running with BGB in the new 2006 porsche. If you would like pictures or anything go ahead email, pm me, etc etc.

-Derek Sabol-

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Awesome! :clap: I want to get my oldest into kart racing and see how that goes. If he really likes it, then I know what I'll be investing my money into. He loves to do activities with me, and I like karts. So we'll see what happens.

Any links to your team or car or whatever? That would be cool to post here. I have the Grand Am site bookmarked, but you might as well post a link of your stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.teamsahlen.com/index.cfm?templa...m_category_id=1 <<<This was the team I was with at Daytona test days and for the actual race.
The team I am going to be racing with is BGB, they dont have anything on me yet because we just agreed to terms on contract today. Anywho there site is http://www.teambgb.com/teambgb/main.asp
I have a web site but it is somewhat old and only temporary while I am working with web designers on getting a better/more advanced one up. The one I do currently have though is www.dereksabol.com

How old is the son in which you would like to get into karting? I would highly recommend going with a Rotax engine they are very reliable. As far as chassis, I would say crg or birel. They are both very well liked in the karting world.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
He's only 6 but I was thinking of throwing his 7th birthday party at http://www.prokartindoor.com/

On the second thought, I guess that's too young. Bummer. I know he's pretty smart and has been watching me drive and asks a lot of questions. So....I tell him about driving and what everything is supposed to do. He's very curious and I think he'll do pretty well in a kart.

Maybe he'll be open wheel racing material by the time he's 18.... :lol: dave is dreaming of being in the F1 circles...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
http://www.teamsahlen.com/index.cfm?templa...m_category_id=1 <<<This was the team I was with at Daytona test days and for the actual race.
The team I am going to be racing with is BGB, they dont have anything on me yet because we just agreed to terms on contract today. Anywho there site is http://www.teambgb.com/teambgb/main.asp
I have a web site but it is somewhat old and only temporary while I am working with web designers on getting a better/more advanced one up. The one I do currently have though is www.dereksabol.com
How old is the son in which you would like to get into karting? I would highly recommend going with a Rotax engine they are very reliable. As far as chassis, I would say crg or birel. They are both very well liked in the karting world.

What a great opportunity!! I have been to Sebring and my friend Nick races with NASA and just moved up to Grand Am cup series (Blue Z sponsored by Omega Racing). I look forward to watching some of your races the nest time I'm in Florida!!! Good luck with it all...and Congrats on joining the Z family!! Isn't she a dream!!

Post some pics of your Z Baby soon!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That is a sweet 996 you're posing next to. Love that car.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Welcome aboard buddy. Congrats on getting into racing at such an early age. Post some pics/vids when you get a chance.

I must say, it is quite refreshing to read such informed posts by a 16 year old. :clap:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much for the compliments. I will try to keep everyone informed as much as possible. I am actually going to be out in SoCal in Fontana at the speedway this Friday/Sat/Sunday with NASA in my zZz. I am not sure if anyone is going be there but if you are let me know so we can hook up or something. I am really looking forward to running the Z there though because I ran it in early January at Laguna Seca. I was simply stunned by how well the car handled, bare in mind everything I had on it was stock; stock tires, stock pads, EVERYTHING stock. Now yes they were brembos, but still I was expecting lesser performance (have driven other stock cars that are just a handful to drive).. In fact while I was in Florida during the race weekend I was really trying to watch how The Palms/Playboy Racing 350z was doing, b/c like I said I loved my time in the zZz. Well come to find out they had a lot of engine promblems unfortunately, one blew up during the race and the other finished well back into the field. I am sure they will start getting things together 1/2 through the season or even more soon though.

Again thanks for all the compliments.

-Derek Sabol-

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Welcome :wavey:

I'm the cool one on the site :wink:
With an avatar like yours, I'll agree with that statement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts