Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to throw some equipment out there for your critiquing pleasure; now that I've got my bass and head unit in line (Eclipse AVN 5435, JL 250/1 amp, JL 10W3 sub), I want to upgrade the front/rear speakers to match.

The JL Audio XR650CSi - JL Audio 6.5" XR Series Component speakers have been suggested to me for the front, and the JL Audio TR650CXi - JL Audio 6.5" TR Series Coaxials for the back, with a JL Audio 300/4 JL Audio 4 Ch. Amplifier to power them. How does this sound to you guys? (I apologize for my lack of knowledge; just now getting into good car stereo gear)

Primary concerns I would have are that I've heard the XR components should have something like a 300/2 amp dedicated to them. They are rated at 70 watts continuous power handling, but I'm told that they should have 150 RMS pushed to them to really get the most/best sound out of them.

I've also been told that, with high-quality front speakers, that it's actually better to completely disconnect the two rear 6.5 speakers to maintain quality sound inside the car and out.

My installer is quoting just under $1,500 for the whole job, intalled. They are pricey, but I trust their work. If anyone has any suggestions for a good installer in the San Antonio area or Texas in general, I'm definitely open.

What opinions do you guys have? Thanks for the advice, as always.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CDT HD comps up front.. decent mid-driver (no coax) in rear.... 300/2 amp..run rears off of head unit power.. 4 G power/Grnd, Extreme dampener, 14 G speaker wire, twisted pair RCAs... you got yourself a sweet system!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the avn eclipse head unit. JL 500-1 JL 300-4 and the JL stealth box. For speakers I have CDT. EURO line front and rear and CDT soundstage very happy.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw@Aug 31 2005, 08:12 PM

I've also been told that, with high-quality front speakers, that it's actually better to completely disconnect the two rear 6.5 speakers to maintain quality sound inside the car and out.

What opinions do you guys have? Thanks for the advice, as always.
[snapback]151182[/snapback]​

Correct...disconnect them. You'll have a better sound stage and imaging without the rear speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts