Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am curious exactly where others have mounted the USA-Spec device. For now, I have mine loose, under the stereo and A/C controller (in front of the gear shift). I'm planning on getting some double-sided tape and just sticking it to the bottom of the A/C controller. I'm afraid it might get too hot if I leave in on the bottom, since that's just above the transmission, and I've felt that area get hot before.

-chris

[attachment=17974:product_black_ipod.jpg]
Hi Chris or any others who have installed the USA-Spec device - I am about to purchase and install the PA11-NIS for my 2007 350z Touring roadster. I was curious if you ever settled on where to mount the USA-Spec device - did you leave it loose or tape it? I was thinking it might work to put it in the passenger storage net on the passenger side. Did you have to drill a hole or anything else to run the wire from the back of the radio to the input on the USA-Spec? Thanks for any advice or pictures of the actual completed install! Hopefully I'll be putting mine in next week...

-Scott

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi Chris or any others who have installed the USA-Spec device - I am about to purchase and install the PA11-NIS for my 2007 350z Touring roadster. I was curious if you ever settled on where to mount the USA-Spec device - did you leave it loose or tape it? I was thinking it might work to put it in the passenger storage net on the passenger side. Did you have to drill a hole or anything else to run the wire from the back of the radio to the input on the USA-Spec? Thanks for any advice or pictures of the actual completed install! Hopefully I'll be putting mine in next week...

No drilling was required. There's a little space to stash the USA-Spec in front of the gear shift, under the headunit and A/C controls - you'll see if as soon as you take the shift plate off. I put some velcro on the top of the USA-Spec, and on the bottom of the A/C controller thing, and stuck it there with velcro. Eventually (after taking it off a few times) the adhesive came off on a few of the velcro patches, so use strong adhesive velcro and clean the surfaces first, if you go this route. Using velcro isn't necessary at all, I just wanted to get the USA-Spec up away from the (slight) heat coming from the chassis at the bottom.

Best thing to do is just pop off the shifter plate around the gearshift (you don't have to pull the shift knob off to do this), and you can see exactly what I'm describing. You can pop it off with no tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No drilling was required. There's a little space to stash the USA-Spec in front of the gear shift, under the headunit and A/C controls - you'll see if as soon as you take the shift plate off. I put some velcro on the top of the USA-Spec, and on the bottom of the A/C controller thing, and stuck it there with velcro. Eventually (after taking it off a few times) the adhesive came off on a few of the velcro patches, so use strong adhesive velcro and clean the surfaces first, if you go this route. Using velcro isn't necessary at all, I just wanted to get the USA-Spec up away from the (slight) heat coming from the chassis at the bottom.

Best thing to do is just pop off the shifter plate around the gearshift (you don't have to pull the shift knob off to do this), and you can see exactly what I'm describing. You can pop it off with no tools.
Awesome - Thanks! Still waiting on the USA-SPEC device but I have a great idea where to put it now. Where do you end up stashing the iPod when driving / connected?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Awesome - Thanks! Still waiting on the USA-SPEC device but I have a great idea where to put it now. Where do you end up stashing the iPod when driving / connected?

I haven't really come up with a great place to put it, so I usually just put it on the passenger seat, or tucked in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. I thought about putting it somewhere where I could see it while driving, but I couldn't find a good place, and I really don't need the distraction anyway, especially since you can use the stereo's normal CD next/previous buttons to change to the next/previous song.

Someone on this forum build a really slick custom iPod (not iPhone) mount.. somewhere there's a thread with pics.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Use google or froogle to find 'ipod to nissan interface' and check out all the results for this. I'm waffling between doing the interface or getting a new HU and speakers.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
lol... I know. I was doing some research, saw this thread, and felt like bumping it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I got a Neo Prolink interface that works very well and with my iPhone too. I really like the OEM look so retaining the headunit is important for me. What ideas are you throwing around?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm no audio guru, but I wanted something that was reliable. My Bose HU is more fragile and touchier than a princess brat. I was hoping there would be something easy to work with if I wanted to hook up an iPod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to kick the arse out of this and if its been answered before i humbly apologise but i have a UK 2006 GT and was wondering if the USASPEC PA15-NIS will work...

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

Anyone know a store/forum sponsor that will send a USASpec PA15-NIS iPod package to Australia?

cheers

Brett

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Don't there are any forum sponsors that sell this. I'd try google and contacting some places directly.

I bought and installed the Neo Prolink adapter which is also another consideration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
work with an 2007?

Hi all,

So I read over the posts and looked at the wiki but it only lists '03-06. I looked up my model on Crutchfield and it says that the 2007, with the Bose factory stereo with navigation should work with the USA Spec iPod interface. But in the fine print it says that you need an XM or Sat button on the stereo for it to work, which I don't have. So I'm not sure what to think. I have a Bose model CY03D, and I think the back looks like this: http://www.cd4car.com/product_images/c/755/DSC06411__88746_zoom.JPG Does anyone know if the kit should really work or not? Sorry, I'm not good with audio stuff, I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been using the USA Spec interface for about a year and a half now and just recently started having trouble with it. Or something. Every so often while listening to the Ipod it will suddenly shut off. Just like turning off the radio. Sometimes I can turn the radio off and back on and it will continue right from where it shut off. Sometimes when I first turn it on it won't work even though it was on when I turned the car off. In these cases pushing the CD 6 button has no effect, it simply stays on the FM position. Sometimes it comes back on by itself. I did notice that when I shut the radio off the Ipod lights up for a short while, I guess because the interface keeps charging for some time. However at the times it shuts off by itself it does not light up. I can't figure if it's the stereo, Ipod, or interface. When playing the Ipod out of the car I don't have the problem. I have an 03 with automatic trans and the interface unit fits just forward of and to the right of the shifter under the console.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts