Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after lots of debate about whether the usaspec ipod adapter will work for the 2003 model, with 6 cd in dash changer, bose and factory navigation (it is listed as working with 2004-2006 models on their website), i took the plunge and bought the adapter, PA11 – NIS.

Even though it is not listed on the website, and has the FM/AM button instead of the RADIO button, the unit works flawlessly. Instead of hitting the radio button to get to the ipod, you hit the CD6 button, and the radio displays "CD Changer." The ipod plays through the speakers and is controlled by the buttons on the radio. Hitting the CD6 button again goes back to the in dash cd changer, and it works like normal. Even though it says it requires a dealer cable, it does not - it comes with everything required for installation.

Bought it on ebay for about $110 - totally worth it in my opinion.

search words: 2003 ipod '03 bose navigation touring usaspec usa spec

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you install it?
I'm not quite sure what the question is... the unit plugs into the back of the radio, and you also need to unplug one of the connectors, plug it into the unit, and then plug in a connector where that one used to be. I ran the wire so that my ipod goes into the center console. Installation requires pulling the radio, so the the entire center console had to come apart.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, after lots of debate about whether the usaspec ipod adapter will work for the 2003 model, with 6 cd in dash changer, bose and factory navigation (it is listed as working with 2004-2006 models on their website), i took the plunge and bought the adapter, PA11 – NIS.
Joe,

Thanks for posting your findings -- after reading your post, I bought the USASpec PA11-NIS and installed it yesterday. The 350Z Head Unit Installation wiki was a HUGE help -- props to the author of that -- way better than the 350z service manual.

I have a 2003 Touring 350Z with the Bose system. It worked perfectly with the iPod -- just plug in the iPod, hit "CD" to get to the iPod, and it works! I didn't even have an iPod before (I had to reason to have one)... so once I verified that the USASpec worked I went and got a new iPod.

I am curious exactly where others have mounted the USA-Spec device. For now, I have mine loose, under the stereo and A/C controller (in front of the gear shift). I'm planning on getting some double-sided tape and just sticking it to the bottom of the A/C controller. I'm afraid it might get too hot if I leave in on the bottom, since that's just above the transmission, and I've felt that area get hot before.

In any case, thanks for your posting... it's what makes 350z-tech such a great site.

-chris

[attachment=17974:product_black_ipod.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

Even though it is not listed on the website, and has the FM/AM button instead of the RADIO button, the unit works flawlessly. Instead of hitting the radio button to get to the ipod, you hit the CD6 button, and the radio displays "CD Changer." The ipod plays through the speakers and is controlled by the buttons on the radio. Hitting the CD6 button again goes back to the in dash cd changer, and it works like normal. Even though it says it requires a dealer cable, it does not - it comes with everything required for installation.

Bought it on ebay for about $110 - totally worth it in my opinion.
search words: 2003 ipod '03 bose navigation touring usaspec usa spec
Hi, great to hear it works. However, can you clarify if you have a USA car or UK car please? I have a 05MY, bose system without the sat nav fitted and I am not sure if your system is the same as mine. Would you be able to descride the connections at the back or better still, do you have a picture of it please? Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi, great to hear it works. However, can you clarify if you have a USA car or UK car please? I have a 05MY, bose system without the sat nav fitted and I am not sure if your system is the same as mine. Would you be able to descride the connections at the back or better still, do you have a picture of it please? Thank you very much in advance.
I have a US model 350Z, bose system without the nav (but with the subwoofer). It sounds like yours will work if it is the bose system with a CD button, and as long as you don't have XM radio. Sorry I don't have any photos of my radio, but I think there may be some in other related 350z-tech topics. (search for 'usaspec' topics with images)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a US model 350Z, bose system without the nav (but with the subwoofer). It sounds like yours will work if it is the bose system with a CD button, and as long as you don't have XM radio. Sorry I don't have any photos of my radio, but I think there may be some in other related 350z-tech topics. (search for 'usaspec' topics with images)
Hi,I found a picture of the back of the bose unit, I think it is a USA one and it has 4 sockets for connection. I have just taken my dash apart and had a look at mine and it only has 3 sockets, the bottom right one is blanked out. I understand there is a 12 pin male plug on the USAspec kit. I do not think I have the female connector for this.

Could you describe if you used ALL the connections with the USAspec kit please? Thank you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,I found a picture of the back of the bose unit, I think it is a USA one and it has 4 sockets for connection. I have just taken my dash apart and had a look at mine and it only has 3 sockets, the bottom right one is blanked out. I understand there is a 12 pin male plug on the USAspec kit. I do not think I have the female connector for this.

Could you describe if you used ALL the connections with the USAspec kit please? Thank you.
I don't remember how many sockets were on the back of my radio, but there was definitely one unused one, one for the antenna, and then one or two more used. The USASpec ipod adapter goes in between one of the existing plugs and the radio. So you have to unplug one from the back of the radio, plug in the USASpec, and then plug the existing plug into the USASpec female end. I *think* when I was all done, there may have been an unused plug on the back of the radio, maybe for the nav system input or something?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
take a look at this post:

clicky

the sockets are properly identified.

copied here for your pleasure:

1 and 2 are the plugs for the radio functions (power wires, speaker wires, etc - what an aftermarket HU would plug into with an adapter harness)
3 is the navigation
4 is the plug for an external CD changer or satellite radio.

4 is where the USAspec adapter plugs in, and in my case, there was another harness that connected inline with either number 1 or number 2, i can't remember now.

Front of my radio looks like this:

Even though it does not have the satellite button, which is what is supposedly required, it works perfectly. To select the ipod, you just push the cd6 button, and "cd changer" is displayed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks Joe for the reply. Maybe we should turn all this iPod info into a wiki page. I'll volunteer to start one... it's the least I can do to give back to the site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was a very simple installation and I highly recommend it! FYI - The plug mentioned above is number 1 (replace it with the plug from the unit, then snap in the factory plug into the unit's harness). Also, be sure to set dip switch #2 to "off." This will allow you to control the iPod from both the head unit AND the iPod.

Oh - and one more thing! You can use the iPod's equalizer to boost signal to the HU. I was thinking about getting a new head unit but now, I think I just gave it a shot of steroids! Love this thing!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm definitely going to be doing this! I got an ipod for Xmas and was wondering how I could integrate it into the Bose. Now I'm stoked!

So how many songs can a 40gig ipod hold?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm definitely going to be doing this! I got an ipod for Xmas and was wondering how I could integrate it into the Bose. Now I'm stoked!

So how many songs can a 40gig ipod hold?
40 gigs worth! :)

My iPod currently has around 7GB of music -- around 1300 songs.. that's an average of 5.4MB per mp3, which seems about right.

But the new 5G iPods can play video... so 80GB isn't what it used to be!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Great page! Now we need one for non-Bose...

I think the USASpec interface mentioned on the wiki may interface with the non-bose system -- it just needs a system that supports an external CD changer. Does the non-bose support that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking about getting this. I have an 06, again. It is a Bose System w/ out Navi, but has the factory XM Satelite Radio, which I currently listen to. I also have an ipod thought that I would like to use. If i get this do I HAVE to ditch the XM? Is there any option out there that allows me to keep my stock Bose Head Unit, XM and allow me to use my ipod, besides getting an FM transmitter?

Oh I have a Belkin Transmitter right now and the Distortion SUCKS. Does the PA11 – NIS get rid of the distortion? Is the sound quality as good as a CD?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was thinking about getting this. I have an 06, again. It is a Bose System w/ out Navi, but has the factory XM Satelite Radio, which I currently listen to. I also have an ipod thought that I would like to use. If i get this do I HAVE to ditch the XM? Is there any option out there that allows me to keep my stock Bose Head Unit, XM and allow me to use my ipod, besides getting an FM transmitter?

Oh I have a Belkin Transmitter right now and the Distortion SUCKS. Does the PA11 – NIS get rid of the distortion? Is the sound quality as good as a CD?
The sound quality is good (as good as your head unit, anyway) - it's a direct connection, no noisy FM transmitter.

As for your sat radio question.. I don't know. maybe someone with an '06 knows, or the USA-spec manufacturer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The sound quality is good (as good as your head unit, anyway) - it's a direct connection, no noisy FM transmitter.

As for your sat radio question.. I don't know. maybe someone with an '06 knows, or the USA-spec manufacturer?
I was thinking of getting a new HU with hd radio and with built in Ipod compatibility. Currently I am using the tape player adapter. To me it sounds muddy when using the adapter. Does this make the sound quality as good as if one was playing a cd? Is it much better than using the tape player adapter?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts