Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the z is low to beging with, is it worth lowering.

i would be worried in clearing things.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I just got a set of hotchkis lowering springs............I am sure she's gonna LOOK awesome lowered a little (they lower less than an inch) but I can't comment on the performance aspect.

I live in Pittsburgh where we have horrible streets, and lots of elevation changes (including into my driveway) so it will be interesting to see if/how we are going to clear things :lol: heehee I don't have a body kit for just this reason tho, it would be ripped off in a heartbeat, even at stock ride height! :ahhh:

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
my car had a full nismo body kit and was also lowered 2 inches (along with 19 inch rims and low profile tires). i never had problems going over speedbumps or up and down hills. i was more careful than when i first got the car...but, i never had problems clearing anything. and...i'm in boston...the streets are terrible! i think the car looks a lot better lowered...but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
yeah i think that the Z is already low enough because of its sport package and image. However i think lowering it will still make it look better! Lowering the Z will make it more aggressive and mean.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
For me it wasn't worth lowering mainly because of the changing elevation of streets and hills and driveways here in south jersey. I am sure it would look great and if you live in an area where it wouldn't be a problem I would definitley go for it.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
oooops...sorry for the dbl post...
Tein Flex...lowered 0.25

Zeal Function V-6 on the same car....lowered 2.15

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
i never realized the roads were that bad in PA and NJ. i drove through NJ in my z a few times and never had any problems. but, i never drove the car in PA. my car was lowered closer to 2 inches (sprint springs). i don't have any pics on this computer though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Lowered 3/4" front 9/16" back.

Scraped when I went lower.

Stock is fine. Some of us just have to 'mod'.....

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I think you'll feel more of an improvement in handling if you swap out the sways for the hotchkis. The rate and rebount on the stock Z is already a pretty good setup.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
lowered Z looks hot..

Agreed. But lowering it, and telling yourself you did it for performance is an incorrect notion. It's purely a cosmetic mod. If your lowered, and do not have race compound tires as well as access to the Nurburgring, there really is no point. You won't feel it on city roads (with who knows what kinda debris floating around) wearing street tires.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't agree. I think if you have a good set of springs you will feel a difference.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I have always watched where I go, and I've never had any major problems. Watch out for curbs when you're pulling into parking spots though. I tapped my front bumper once doing that.

I want to note that a lot of the interstate bounce was taken away when I lowered my car with Eibach springs, and I definitely noticed a difference in performance.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I don't agree. I think if you have a good set of springs you will feel a difference.
In general, yes. Case in point, I had a 2001 Infiniti I30. Added a set of Eibach springs. Rate was much higher than stock. It leaned less, turned in quicker, and stayed nicely balanced as the springs eliminated most of the front/back shifting during acceleration/braking into and out of corners.

But adding springs to a 350Z is a different animal. But don't take my word for it, look up the stock spring rates and then compare them with the aftermarket lower ones. Lowering the car (physically) doesn't add anything noticable, changing the spring rates does.

Feel different? Yes. Spring rates and shock rebounds will "feel" very different when changed. But turn better numbers out on a street course? Nah. I believe your tire traction limits will be exceeded before the car's telemetry limits become apparant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts