Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,425 Posts
Your photo is of a VQ35HR plenum, and no, I've never heard that. Nissan/Infiniti wouldn't make any production changes for an engine that was only produced for a few years ('07-08) before being replaced by the VQ37VHR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your photo is of a VQ35HR plenum, and no, I've never heard that. Nissan/Infiniti wouldn't make any production changes for an engine that was only produced for a few years ('07-08) before being replaced by the VQ37VHR.
It seems they did on this intake going from 3.5L to 3.7L. I saw these photos in another forum on this topic. Hoping someone here could verify the swap!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,425 Posts
Read that thread you linked and found it interesting that there were NO dyno charts, or other independent verification that swapping the plenums from the HR to the VHR really offers much gains. Since that thread is almost FOUR years old, it's dubious about what gains there are. Of course, P&P and port matching plenums with a good tune will always help, but usually the gains are incremental. But if you're going to try this without more definitive proof, well, good luck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read that thread you linked and found it interesting that there were NO dyno charts, or other independent verification that swapping the plenums from the HR to the VHR really offers much gains. Since that thread is almost FOUR years old, it's dubious about what gains there are. Of course, P&P and port matching plenums with a good tune will always help, but usually the gains are incremental. But if you're going to try this without more definitive proof, well, good luck...
I can get that early intake for cheap and might just give it a try. Every little bit helps.
There maybe some truth to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,425 Posts
"Maybe" is the key word here. Lots of work to do to that intake plenum and I find it curious that no one has posted anything to add to the credibility of this claim. Count me as the skeptical racer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Maybe" is the key word here. Lots of work to do to that intake plenum and I find it curious that no one has posted anything to add to the credibility of this claim. Count me as the skeptical racer...
Believe me I looked for those dyno runs too. I think it's like other mods that pertain to these engines. You can only get so much from the changes because it such a good factory combo.

·
Super Moderator
1,425 Posts
Perhaps it's simply my skepticism, but Nissan put a lot of R&D and computer modeling into intake plenums. If there was a significant performance gain to be found, they exploited it! Certainly, port matching and other customization has helped in making small gains, but I really doubt there's much to be gained here. You could be the one to prove me wrong here. Just do comparable dynos before and after to see what gains can be made!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts