Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daily driver is a 07 G35 that's in practically new condition and I want to keep it that way. I do probably around 12 - 20 track days a year and am trying to find a suitable track car. My uncle and I had picked up a E36 M3 to share on the track, but sharing has proven to be somewhat of a logistical PITA, so I'm considering alternative cars. I like the E36, however, I'm concerned about long term maintenance costs. I also like the 350z, however, I wonder how it holds up on the track. They have a reputation for being porky.

For those of you that track your 350z's, how do they hold up on the track?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a good car for HPDEs, if you take care of the suspension it will handle pretty good and has plenty of power for the track. You do feel the weight though and I don't feel like ruining the interior to save a few hundred pounds.
Since my company rents the track once or twice a month now I will be selling the Z for a better track car, either a Spec Miata or S2000, both a lot lighter than the Z.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
From my own personal experience, I can't complain. I go out to have fun, so I don't get as competitive as the other guys. I accept the fact that there's always going to be a faster car and a better driver. I have done autox and HPDE and am happy with what I've done with my car. I've tried to shed some weight off the car, mod the suspension, wheels, and tires for better handling, and pay more attention to myself and how I handle the car and track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure to purchase a oil cooler at minimum. This will help keep the oil from overheating!! You can purchase a fancy name or you put a kit together yourself..not hard at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On July 7~8th I went to Road America for a HPDE weekend.
I've only owned my Z for a month or two, but here are my thoughts and mod list:

Changed all fluids and spark plugs
Hawk HP+ pads front & rear.
ATE brake fluid
Stock size Starspec tires

In the two days at RA I only went through half of the brake pads, yet if I had it to do over, I'd have bought Porterfield R4-E pads. Why? The HP+ would fade just a little when I got in the grove. Not a lot, but enough to sap a little confidence.
The tires were amazing, they NEVER got greasy and they barely showed any signs of wear.

Oh yeah almost forgot, I just won 'C' stock at my local club:
Final Results, #4 - event #4 - Sun 07-15-2012

As smoothz says: I can't complain. =o]

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:clap: Congrats.

I just came back from a weekend of tracking the Z, and I had new tires, fairly new slotted rotors, Motul DOT 4 brake fluid, and Hawk HP pads. It wasn't a competition, but it was fun as ****. I did pretty well compared to the other beasts out on the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts