Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to 350z's and fairly new to manuals and have been driving stick for a few months now. recently I've noticed a bit of performance loss compared to when i first bought the Z. recently when I down shift to speed up or am at a high enough rpm to just hit the gas it feels like its almost not fully engaged or slipping. I'm going to do my best to explain this next instance to just hang with me. i was turning a corner and coming around it second gear, pulled out of the turn and hit third and when I was in third it felt sluggish for a second and then it picked up again and shot off which was pretty odd and its been sorta happening more and more. also I know that the Z's are super prone to loudest clutch chatter, when I first got the Z I thought something was broken but did research and found that there's just more clutch chatter because there's less sound deadening material but now the clutch chatter sounds like slapping or like thumping at some times. also the release point on the clutch has been so inconsistent. sometimes it releases high and sometimes it releases low and when starting from a stop it can be super shaky and I can assure its not my driving because its been months and that just now started. looking for help and advise so plz comment back or something. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to 350z's and fairly new to manuals and have been driving stick for a few months now. recently I've noticed a bit of performance loss compared to when i first bought the Z. recently when I down shift to speed up or am at a high enough rpm to just hit the gas it feels like its almost not fully engaged or slipping. I'm going to do my best to explain this next instance to just hang with me. i was turning a corner and coming around it second gear, pulled out of the turn and hit third and when I was in third it felt sluggish for a second and then it picked up again and shot off which was pretty odd and its been sorta happening more and more. also I know that the Z's are super prone to loudest clutch chatter, when I first got the Z I thought something was broken but did research and found that there's just more clutch chatter because there's less sound deadening material but now the clutch chatter sounds like slapping or like thumping at some times. also the release point on the clutch has been so inconsistent. sometimes it releases high and sometimes it releases low and when starting from a stop it can be super shaky and I can assure its not my driving because its been months and that just now started. looking for help and advise so plz comment back or something. thanks.
Are you running an after market clutch/flywheel? I didn't notice any clutch chatter on my Z until I changed to an ACT clutch and light weight flywheel. Also have you checked the slave cylinder for any leaks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Couple of hack "tests" to see if clutch is slipping without removing disc:

30 mph, 5th gear, floor it and see if engine revs up faster than car accelerates.

Same at 60mph, 6th gear.

If either or both feels like the car isn't picking up speed then proceed to teardown. Again, these are non-technical hacks but surprisingly effective, if not necessarily conclusive.

Regarding chatter. Z33 CDXXX transmissions are notorious for input shaft chatter (and moreso in the JK40-41/EA trannies in HR/VHR equipped cars) and is exacerbated when running a light flywheel (one of the reasons I hate light flywheels for street/highway driving). Some noise is inevitable but when the trans/clutch sounds like a small cement mixer, no thanks. Doesn't hurt anything but is annoying.

Reactions: dkmura
1 - 5 of 5 Posts