Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible ot have nissan install Audio controls on a 04 since they didnt start them till 05 i believe?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i have an 06 steeringwheel on my 05 Ann

it has the audio controls + cruise

my 05 wheel had cruise only

the audio controls wont work for a couple reasons

- the 03/04/05 deck doesnt have that feature
- the 06 wheel has 4 extra wires coming from the audio buttons inside the steeringwheel. However the harness in the steering hub only has the 3 wires for the cruise buttons, so these 4 extra wires wont connect to anything

the only way to wire it up would be to use something like the Pac-Swix and feed the wires into the steering hub harness matching up to the wires coming from the steeringwheel audio buttons

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Is it possible ot have nissan install Audio controls on a 04 since they didnt start them till 05 i believe?
I can be done....but at a cost that would blow your mind. To do it right would require the following

1. New Main Cockpit Harness
2. New Radio that supports Steering Wheel Controls
3. New Steering wheel with controls built in
4. New Spiral Cable - this is part that all of the wires run through and allow you to turn your steering wheel without ripping them out.
5. New BCM - Body Control Module - The controls run into here thats why only 4 wires control so many different functions. Each switch position has a different resistance. Thats what the BCM reads and then it sends the command to the radio to do what you want it to.

You would have to completely remove your dash, swap out the harnesses...probably have to repin a connector or twenty as Nissan seems to change these on a almost yearly basis. After you have done all this work you will have to have a Nissan Consult to program you new BCM to operate and communicate with your ECM as they are tied together. After all this is done it may or may not work...the same could be said for your car. You might be able to do what Domino said and get the PAC-swix box and the spiral cable and make it work. You would need a section of harness off of a wrecked car with the controls and you might be able to come up with a jumper harness. Not sure if it would work or not but thats the route I would look at if I just had to have them. Of course for the cost involved you could have put a huge deposit down on a 06 or 07 Z that has them from the factory or one **** of a bad ass aftermarket system.

On a side note I have been thinking about tearing apart my Alpine remote and getting one of these steering wheels and attempting to wire it in to the steering wheel controls. Then just put the transmitter on the side of the steering wheel that faces the radio. It might work and it might not but I think it will be easier than the other way. It would only be able to be used when you are driving straight but how often do you need to change the station mid corner anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts