Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there
Is it OK to go to car meet without ANY car knowledge?
I would like to go to car meet, but I dont have any knowledge when it comes to cars (I know some brands, but I am not able to tell names of different models and no idea when it comes to parts). Is it OK to show up or will it be very awkward? I simply like the way the cars look.
Can you share with me what you know about cars? Grateful.

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
This question can go for almost any topic you don't have any knowledge or experience with. Go with an open mind and be ready to learn. Listen more than talk. Let your questions come naturally and maybe watch a basic utube video on how cars and engines work to get a base of knowledge. Enjoy yourself at the meet and report back!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Absolutely OK! Not everyone is a car geek and anyone who thinks lesser of you because you don't know about cars (or any other topic/subject for that matter) is just a snob. Avoid those know-it-alls. Go and have a good time. Heck, my wife goes with me to races, car shows, and art galleries. Does she know anything about those things? Nope, not when we first went. She goes, enjoys, and the best thing, LEARNS stuff. Hey, she just asked me if I knew who won the F1 race in Saudi Arabia last week. I did not because I'd not watched yet. She did. Haha.

What do I know about cars? Hmmmm...... been wrenching, restoring, admiring, racing cars for about 50 years. Worked for Datsun 40 years ago, managed a parts/service store after I retired from my "real job". But you know what? I still learn a lot from guys much younger and more hands on than me. Always learning, always enjoying, and willing to help others enjoy the hobby. Simple. No matter which end of the spectrum you're on, cars (or any other subject) is fun if you have an interest. Get out there!

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, how did your first car meet go?
Like seemingly every other post on this forum, it's in and out, failing to make a thread other than others' responses. Last visit, day of the post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People love talking about their cars. They will be more than happen to rattle off stats and figures and aero loads they don't even understand themselves but have memorized from the internet. It's really amazing when you do meet that knowledgeable guy/gal/whatever and start asking very specific questions then realize you just spent 30 minutes talking about how the carburetors work on an old Datsun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
People love talking about their cars. They will be more than happen to rattle off stats and figures and aero loads they don't even understand themselves but have memorized from the internet. It's really amazing when you do meet that knowledgeable guy/gal/whatever and start asking very specific questions then realize you just spent 30 minutes talking about how the carburetors work on an old Datsun.
Thanks for coming back and sharing.

You nailed it. Haha, "memorized from the internet" and "you just spent 30 minutes talking about how the carburetors work on an old Datsun."

Continue to enjoy the meets and shows. The car community is a great way to expand the knowledge base. (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.