Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at everything that is available out there. If possible, I would like to get an auto. I know, it’s not a REAL car if I don’t get a stick, but I’ve driven stick for over 10 years and I need a commute I can live with. However, I want to have fun too…lots of fun. Will an auto 350Z still be a blast to drive? Is it much slower? How well does the tranny hold up?

I’m not going to modify the rig…been there, done that a few times. I just want a reliable, comfortable, and quick car to have fun with.

What do you get as average mpg with the AT in daily life? Freeway?

Since it only has 2 seats…and sometimes I take long road trips…can the seat back recline enough to allow me to pull over and grab ~30 min of sleep every now and then?

Thanks for all the help! Anyone in WA (Seattle area)?

Also...from the Nissan website. (Doesn’t this affect speed and how hard the motor pulls?)

Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Intake valves only on A/T models.
Intake and exhaust valves on M/T models.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Welcome to the site.

The seats are going to be an issue...you can sleep in the car, but hotels are better.

Prior to modifications my 5AT got 27+ mpg on the freeway...even with wider rubber the '06's should match that number or exceed it depending on the driver's habits. Daily driver milage should be 20 or better, again depending on how heavy the driver's foot gets.

It is not slower than the 6MT...except at the top end when the 6MT will pull on the 5AT with the extra gear. I defer from entering into the oft posted 5AT/6MT debate.
Drive them both and get the one you want is my advice.

What color are you considering? sorry, can't assist with your last question

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello KShep...

Thanks for the tips. I haven't decided on color yet, but I like the blue and the white. I haven't seen the white in person though...not sure if it has pearl in it. The local dealers keep telling me that I have to put a deposit down on one because they all geat sold in the 1st couple months...any truth to that? Will they try to get MSRP on these? I don't want to get screwed for a 4-year old design.

I did drive a buddy's 5AT 350Z ('05) and it was great. Tons of power on tap it seemed, but I only drove it ~3 miles. Does it hurt the tranny to use the tiptronic mode and up/down shift a bunch in the hills?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by pancake@Sep 23 2005, 09:30 PM
Hello KShep...

Thanks for the tips.  I haven't decided on color yet, but I like the blue and the white.  I haven't seen the white in person though...not sure if it has pearl in it.  The local dealers keep telling me that I have to put a deposit down on one because they all geat sold in the 1st couple months...any truth to that?  Will they try to get MSRP on these?  I don't want to get screwed for a 4-year old design.

I did drive a buddy's 5AT 350Z ('05) and it was great.  Tons of power on tap it seemed, but I only drove it ~3 miles.  Does it hurt the tranny to use the tiptronic mode and up/down shift a bunch in the hills?
[snapback]157718[/snapback]​

Well, there have been some changes to the '06.

Of course they will try to sell the vehicle for as much as they can get...roadsters can go for close to sticker, coupes usually not unless it is a special edition (anniversay etc) or limited edition color. If you are in a rush to buy an '06 expect to pay more. If you can wait them out a little, you should be able to deal below sticker no problem. I've been working on a deal for my g/f for two months on another car, and they are getting closer to my price. I you are in a small market area where the dealer allotment is low...look in a bigger market where they move alot of vehicles.

I live in a flat costal plain...no hills around here.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
My advice:

Lots of traffic= Auto tranny...anthing else is sooo worth the 6speed. I have the latter. Good luck.

Oh and yes, all but the redline paint have pearl paint (redline is flat in my opinion). The fleks are most brilliant on the white (my opinion...even though the lemans sunset and yellow are really nice).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I buy new or used? Are these cars very reliable? Seems that many folks on this board have issues, especially with '03 models. If I buy used I could save a few thousand $$.

I'm torn between 5At and 6MT.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by pancake@Sep 26 2005, 07:19 PM
Should I buy new or used?  Are these cars very reliable?  Seems that many folks on this board have issues, especially with '03 models.  If I buy used I could save a few thousand $$.

I'm torn between 5At and 6MT.
[snapback]158295[/snapback]​

Think of the type of driving you'll be doing for most of the time you're in the car. Personally, I don't believe sportscars should have auto trannies, IMHO.

Like I said earlier, buy used and more than likely the previous owner has had most of the issues resolved. You're always going to have issues new or old. Another thing you might consider is buying a warranty for the used car. They offer them, and it's a good deal to have.

A friend of mine bought a used Durango with a warranty. Once I was riding in the back seat and noticed a strange hum from the rear axle. They took it in and got a replacement 'pumpkin' for free. Instead of ignoring the noise, they took my advice and got it fixed before the warranty expired. What a deal!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I just want to retrofit my 03 with the new door armrest/cupholders!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts