Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the description says.....how do you have your Ipod setup for your Z? I am getting mine installed this week, and wanted ideas of how I can do it. I'm not terribly fond of using the thing that lets you dock it in your cup holder. Ideas? Pics?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Hmm.. no pics for ya, but heres what I did:

I ran an Aux-In set of RCA's from the back of my aftermarket head unit to the lower part of the dash kit. This way, I can connect anything with RCA's to the HU without removing the dash ever again.

So, I then bought from Monster an RCA --> headphone jack adapter.

Connects to one end of the iPod, the other end is connected to a car charger.

Car charger is plugged in the outlet behind my seat. I've got the iPod velcro'd down just behind the coin tray, in that little indentation where heated seat butons would go if I had a Touring.

There is enough slack on both wires to move the 'pod about the cabin while selecting songs, and can easily be placed back in the "holder" at any time.

If I get bored I'll post pics..

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm..that sounds good. I'm just wondering about the vibration, though. Considering the Ipod has a hard drive inside (unless you have the shuffle or something that is RAM based), I'm not sure how much vibration I should allow to my Ipod. I wouldnt want the hard drive to crap out on me from road vibration (can you say railroad tracks?)

:)

Still looking around....anyone else have ideas? I just got back from Tweeter. They were gonna use the mount thing that slips into the cup holder.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
Keep in mind that iPods are meant to be portable devices. I think they can take a fair amount of vibration.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]
Keep in mind that iPods are meant to be portable devices. I think they can take a fair amount of vibration.
<div align="right">[snapback]107933[/snapback]
[/quote]

Word. I'm a techie, though.....I've had HD's go kaphlooey on me many times....wouldn't want my Ipod one to do that :punch: I never really read the manual on those.....anyone know how much shock they can handle? Anyone else have an Ipod in their Z?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
So am I. I've had mine running many times on the bus from Jersey to NYC. I also listen to it on the subway all the time. I've never had a problem with the vibrations.

I've also placed my laptop on the passenger seat in my Z and left it importing data into Oracle while driving home from work. Never had a problem with that HD either.

I'm sure if people's in car PCs can take it, an iPod can too. Besides, think about someone jogging with an iPod clipped on. That's gotta be pretty jarring for the iPod

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
most hard drives are made to operate at high altitude, low / high temperatures and have shock/vibration rated at a ridiculous 40-60 G's. As an Apple reseller I just looked in on the protected site but could not find the Hdrive rating for the iPod, but if you are really worried, purchase a Applecare for iPod warranty for around $60. this way you get another year of warranty after your orginal warranty is done

get info here http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nMore=M9404LL/A

I must say though that the iPod is quite resiliant - I dropped mine from the 2nd floor landing, watched it tumble down stairs - the screen was cracked, but it turned right on and played - I had Applecare on mine so the screen was replaced!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coolio....so maybe I shouldn't worry bout it too much then :) I just want a nice looking professional-type install.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I just bought an iPod, and I also just picked up my head unit out of my old car. It's nothing fabulous mind you, but I'm going to see if I can't figure out a way to stealth install it. I'm going to have to fiberglass the dash anyway to make the new head unit look good. I'll let you know what I come up with!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This is taking longer than I expected because I can't get a manual for my head unit. I have a head unit from my old car (nothing special) that has an adapter you can get for audio input, which I was going to run out to my iPod.

I'm planning on redoing the dash to custom build the enclosure, at which point I was going to try to come up with some sort of enclosure for the iPod. Run a 12V power cable to the cigarette lighter and I'd have power and input cable right there so I could just put my ipod in it's makeshift cradle and be good to go.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
If your thinkin about somethin custom and stealth lookin, consider this.

The iPod fits in the space in the center console where the coin tray is. And when I say fits, I mean to the exact shape of the iPod. Give it a try, it sits completely flush to the car in that location.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718@Jun 28 2005, 12:25 PM
If your thinkin about somethin custom and stealth lookin, consider this. 

The iPod fits in the space in the center console where the coin tray is.  And when I say fits, I mean to the exact shape of the iPod.  Give it a try, it sits completely flush to the car in that location.
[snapback]123376[/snapback]​

It sure does...I just low-tech it with a cassette adapter into the Blowse for now...works fine through the twisties & over the RR tracks. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
No cassette adapter, and I'm hesitant to put anything in that part of my center console. My dog doesn't like to stay in his seat at all times, and he'd f*ck it up. I'll check it out though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by cedusett@Jun 28 2005, 03:14 PM
No cassette adapter, and I'm hesitant to put anything in that part of my center console.  My dog doesn't like to stay in his seat at all times, and he'd f*ck it up.  I'll check it out though.
[snapback]123539[/snapback]​

I had one left over from the old car CD player days...When we bought the Z, I was mystified as to the cassette player's use. At least it's good for something...almost.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
im installing my ddx 7015 dvd hu....gonna install the ip500 interface. lets u control the ipod from HU, or in my case from touchscreen. ^_^

1 - 20 of 42 Posts