Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Introducing myself and the new project

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Eugene Relyea 
#1 ·

Picked up this 03 350z a few months ago.
Still working on a name for her.

Originally was looking for a beater to drift, found this AAM built, Twin turbo beauty for a deal I couldn't walk away from. Got the car and decided it was too nice for a beginner like me to drift.

So, this is the new road course/autox/ and drag car.

Have a 06 STI that I've been racing and building for the last 5 years as well. The 350 is way more fun though.

Bought the car with some issues, and had to rework a few things to get it to run. (Fuel related). After she got moving again, it started smoking on decel. Leakdown and compression tests are pointing toward exhaust valves and valve seals.

Winter in ND last about 6-7 months so I decided it was the perfect time to pull the motor and give it a health check. Motor is out and I started the teardown. That's where I'm sitting now.

Here's the build list I got with the car.

-Motor-
*built by AAM
*Bored to 3.7
*Balanced and blue printed
*Manley H beam rods.
*Manley 8.3:1 pistons
*ARP L19 head studs
*revup oil pump
*AAM oil feed and return kit.
*AAM oil pan spacer
*HKS head gaskets
*Admin tuning catch can

-Forced induction-
*AAM twin turbo kit. Borg warner EFR71/63's.
*AAM big MAF
*grimmspeed manual boost controller.
*Throttle body spacer
*AAM plenum spacer
*AAM full 3 inch exhaust single exit.
*AAM test pipes

-Fuel-
*AAM stage1 fuel return kit with billet fuel rails.
*Walbro 450 in tank pump
*Modified fuel basket with return, enlarged jet pump.
*deatschwerks 1000cc injectors
*Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

-Trans-
*Spec super twin disc clutch

-Suspension, wheels, tires-
*Akebono big brake kit.
*rear camber kit
*drilled and slotted rotors
*Vossen VFS-2 wheels. 19x9.5 front, 19x11 rear.
*rear tires are 325/30x19

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you.
I race SCCA autocross and got into road course for a little bit. But I think the road course is a bit harder on the Subaru than I'd like. So I'll be leaving it a strict autox car I think.

Hoping the 350 will handle the road course a bit better.

#5 ·
That's good to know. You just have to push the subaru too hard to keep it in the 120+mph range.

I wont be "competing" in road course. The nearest track is Brainerd International raceway. (About 9 hours away) I only go 2 times a year and no classes on the days I race it.

Autox on the other hand, take place in a more local area. Would like to get to more seat time this year.

I'm hoping to tune the 350z for 800hp range for drag racing/roll racing, then turning it down to the 600-700 range for daily and other competitions.

What area are you from?

#7 ·
View attachment 53112

Picked up this 03 350z a few months ago.
Still working on a name for her.

Originally was looking for a beater to drift, found this AAM built, Twin turbo beauty for a deal I couldn't walk away from. Got the car and decided it was too nice for a beginner like me to drift.

So, this is the new road course/autox/ and drag car.

Have a 06 STI that I've been racing and building for the last 5 years as well. The 350 is way more fun though.

Bought the car with some issues, and had to rework a few things to get it to run. (Fuel related). After she got moving again, it started smoking on decel. Leakdown and compression tests are pointing toward exhaust valves and valve seals.

Winter in ND last about 6-7 months so I decided it was the perfect time to pull the motor and give it a health check. Motor is out and I started the teardown. That's where I'm sitting now.

Here's the build list I got with the car.

-Motor-
*built by AAM
*Bored to 3.7
*Balanced and blue printed
*Manley H beam rods.
*Manley 8.3:1 pistons
*ARP L19 head studs
*revup oil pump
*AAM oil feed and return kit.
*AAM oil pan spacer
*HKS head gaskets
*Admin tuning catch can

-Forced induction-
*AAM twin turbo kit. Borg warner EFR71/63's.
*AAM big MAF
*grimmspeed manual boost controller.
*Throttle body spacer
*AAM plenum spacer
*AAM full 3 inch exhaust single exit.
*AAM test pipes

-Fuel-
*AAM stage1 fuel return kit with billet fuel rails.
*Walbro 450 in tank pump
*Modified fuel basket with return, enlarged jet pump.
*deatschwerks 1000cc injectors
*Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

-Trans-
*Spec super twin disc clutch

-Suspension, wheels, tires-
*Akebono big brake kit.
*rear camber kit
*drilled and slotted rotors
*Vossen VFS-2 wheels. 19x9.5 front, 19x11 rear.
*rear tires are 325/30x19
Welcome I have an 04 350Z I love her. I named her Babes. I had to replace air intake ducts, both sides, wheel well liners front and rear, both sides as well as rebuilt my entire cooling system. I tightened the front end up , put her back together correct and she’s fine, running @ 150%. Last owner was a turd. Should of never owned a Z car . Again welcome nice ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.