Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The APS twin turbo kit seems really powerful, but it probably requires some internal upgrades if the Z is to reach power levels of 600whp...
which internal upgrades would you7 guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You really dont NEED them at 7-9 psi, however if you decide to build it up, Pistons,Rods,ARP head/main studs would be all you really need for a Basic bottom end build...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
At around 450-500 RWHP, I would upgrade internals just to be safe.

As Julian stated, pistons, connecting rods, and ARP head and main studs would be what you should get. Why? Well, we really don't know what levels the pistons can take, but we know the rods are at around 450-500 RWHP with great tuning (and I mean great meticulous tuning). The ARP head and main studs are for around 450-500 RWHP, we don't know how long the stock one's will last either. Same for pistons. Most speculate that around 500-550 RWHP is the limit for the pistons.

If you're goals are around 600 RWHP, I would suggest Eagle rods and Arias pistons. Just my opinion based from your power goals (and therefore dictates what kind of product you would need at a minimum). If you PM me, I can direct you where to buy these products.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Sep 18 2005, 12:12 PM

As Julian stated, pistons, connecting rods, and ARP head and main studs would be what you should get. Why? Well, we really don't know what levels the pistons can take, but we know the rods are at around 450-500 RWHP with great tuning (and I mean great meticulous tuning). The ARP head and main studs are for around 450-500 RWHP, we don't know how long the stock one's will last either. Same for pistons. Most speculate that around 500-550 RWHP is the limit for the pistons.

If you're goals are around 600 RWHP, I would suggest Eagle rods and Arias pistons. Just my opinion based from your power goals (and therefore dictates what kind of product you would need at a minimum). If you PM me, I can direct you where to buy these products.
[snapback]155988[/snapback]​

I'm not picking on you...

But I'm not sure why you are to suggest Eagle rods. I would NOT put my hard earned dollar into these. But I guess everyone has their favorites.

Do you use Eagle rods?? I mean do you have first hand experience with them? Many of them in other applications require work before installing them. Some were even rumored to need machining. For instance with 3s-Gte, they don't even have the oil supply holes in them.

FWIW, power/pressure doesn't kill pistons. Heat and lack of adequeate tuning for the power level, does.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by illz33+Sep 18 2005, 03:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Sep 18 2005, 12:12 PM

But I'm not sure why you are to suggest Eagle rods. I would NOT put my hard earned dollar into these. But I guess everyone has their favorites.

Do you use Eagle rods?? I mean do you have first hand experience with them? Many of them in other applications require work before installing them. Some were even rumored to need machining. For instance with 3s-Gte, they don't even have the oil supply holes in them.

FWIW, power/pressure doesn't kill pistons. Heat and lack of adequeate tuning for the power level, does.
[snapback]156021[/snapback]​

Did I not say on my thread on the other forum to not reply to anything I write? That didn't specify where or when for that reason.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by illz33+Sep 18 2005, 01:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT

I am having my motor built with eagle rods.
Specs
Eagle rods
Arias 9.5:1 pistons
ARP head/main studs

I will be shooting for right around 500 rwhp. Beyond 500-500 rwhp, you run the risk of a lot of issues. Proper fuel delivery, clutches that don't hold or are unstreable, custom exhaust work, braking half shafts, etc

The eagles are 1/2 the price of pauter and should hold up to 700 rwhp

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT+Sep 18 2005, 03:48 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 03:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT

Did I not say on my thread on the other forum to not reply to anything I write? That didn't specify where or when for that reason.
[snapback]156060[/snapback]​

Just chill out please. You cant just go off on everyone anytime something doesnt go your way or if someone doesnt agree with what you have to say.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079+Sep 18 2005, 06:54 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2005, 03:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT

Just chill out please. You cant just go off on everyone anytime something doesnt go your way or if someone doesnt agree with what you have to say.
[snapback]156124[/snapback]​

:wtf: You don't even know the story. PM me if you have something else to say, too many off topic posts in this thread already.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by Nis350ZTT@Sep 18 2005, 05:48 PM

Sorry, I must have missed that memo.

You are nothing to me to be telling me when and where to post.

Have a nice day.

Sorry you are still upset. I disagree with something you say. Big deal. Grow up, man.

Peace.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by illz33+Sep 18 2005, 08:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nis350ZTT
@Sep 18 2005, 05:48 PM

Sorry, I must have missed that memo.

You are nothing to me to be telling me when and where to post.

Have a nice day.

Sorry you are still upset. I disagree with something you say. Big deal. Grow up, man.

Peace.
[snapback]156136[/snapback]​

It just doesn't end with you, does it?

To the thread starter (Tuner), i'm extremely sorry for the bullshit in this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
What bullshit?

You don't agree with something I said, so it's bullshit?

I can respect Zivman for using Eagle rods in his buildup. That's what he wanted to use. And he did. That's awesome.

I personally wouldn't have used them, for the reasons I stated. Perhaps the Original Poster, would like to know this opinion.

Just because I don't agree with what you post, doesn't mean that I call it bullshit. It's called a forum. People flock here to discuss things. You may not always agree. It's a tough concept, I know.

Peace! :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
FOR THE LAST TIME, LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC. personally i dont give a crud "about the story" keep it out of here.

with that being clearly said, are there other alternatives beside pauter and eagle rods? ZIVMAN, what were some other factors beside cost that made you want to go with the eagles?

mdzowner

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
/drama

everyone has their own opinions........just because one person says that he doesn't agree w/ another person does NOT a flame war make........Lets discuss the pros and cons of each brand and keep the knowledge flowing peeps :wink: How can you think that someone can make an educated guess by just stating one opinion or view on the subject? :dunno: It takes a village to raise a child :)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
From the tuning world that I come from; Eagle rods just were never the "top" choice.

However this doesn't make them a bad decision. They are going to be better then shot peened OEM rods I believe.

Pauter and Crower have always made "more expensive" options. You can read into that however you like. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by mdzowner@Sep 18 2005, 07:20 PM
FOR THE LAST TIME, LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC. personally i dont give a crud "about the story" keep it out of here.

with that being clearly said, are there other alternatives beside pauter and eagle rods? ZIVMAN, what were some other factors beside cost that made you want to go with the eagles?

mdzowner
[snapback]156142[/snapback]​

The motor isn't built yet. I did some research on them and found many other cars using them with good results. Many Hondas, 300Z, etc. The price is probably the determining factor for me. If it was 100 or 200 buck price difference between the eagles and pauter, then I would go with the pauter. Fact is, I am saving nearly $600 on the eagle rods. For my HP goal - 500-550, they are more than enough. My shop feels confident in them , and as I stated, I have heard good things about them else where on the net.

From what I have been told, no machining or modifications are needed for them to fit the VQ.

It can be read as good or bad, but the eagles are lighter than pauter.

I am not saying pauter (and crower) are not better, in fact I am saying just the opposite, just that they aren't really needed for my setup. I figure it is like the difference between the forged Arias pistons and the extreme duty Arias pistons.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
The Eagle forgings are quite good.

JUST FYI!! (NOT slamming them) They are mostly sourced from China. Hence the price break.

I know reliable sources in Detriot that use Eagle for Prototype rods. And like I mentioned they are the best bang for the buck in the aftermarket.

I just wanted to inform, that there are other options. That said, you are going to be fine with the eagles. Just focus on the engine harmonics and balancing. This deserves top priority.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Everything out of Detroit sucks. oh, did I say that out loud? :jk: but not really... :lol:

Chris, I'm sure China makes something good...quit bashing them. I just can't think of anything good right now. :helpsmilie:

Oh, that's right! All Christmas lights come from China w/o exception. I believe some wheels are also made in China. I guess they have the highest number of foundries and factories in the world.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts