Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does an intercooler sprayer increase horsepower? Is it the simple fact that cooler air is going into the engine? Why does this yield more power?

From thermodynamics, my understanding is that cooler air is more dense so when it ignites inside of the engine cylinder chamber, it exerts more pressure resulting in higher power output.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
aids in IC efficiency. ie: cooler charge temps. Similar to what water injection would do but you aren't injecting it (misting it) into the intake path.

I have a few links regarding cheap elec. control devices. It wouldn't be hard to setup. You could even use the UTEC's AUX for additional parameters. Like load % or temp. Whatever you wanted.

I was planning on a water spray bar as well.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Toykilla, you summed it up in a nutshell. All it does it aid in cooling intake air temps and that results in higher hp. The denser air provides more oxygen getting into the cylinder to mix with the fuel. You will better utilize the fuel that is injected into the cylinder and hence more of it will burn which as we all know gives us more HP.

·
Registered
853 Posts
We do lose hp as heat starts to sink in. Up to 20-30 hp I've heard. I have also heard some of the nitrous from the IC sprayer can get into your intake and cause a potentially dangerous situation. Especially if your already running lean. I'm definately going with a Intercooler sprayer for this summer though.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Do you have to compensate for the denser air with tuning? Seems to me like that could cause you to run lean really quickly, possibly causing detonation. :helpsmilie:

Water, in particular is in defense of heat.

You NEVER EVER Tune for Water Injection or a Spray bar!

When these things spray, it's for the better. Not necessarily going to lean things out. It's more of a safety margin. For harsh enviroment. To battle heat.

If you tune for it with spraying, and later on you run out... that's when things get interesting.

Take for example:

You have a turbocharged setup and an intercooler spray bar (water). You normally run 10psi. You would NOT (in my most humble opinion) tune for 12psi with the spray. Because if you run out of water, you're fhaked.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The consensus is, that if you have a setup that needs an IC sprayer, you don't have a sufficient IC.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Very true. But it also protects against heat soak. Something a stationary IC shouldn't be blamed for. :)
so we are building a dyno queen now? :lmfao:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My friends only used to use that at the drag strip back in our honda days. man that was along time ago.

we would fabricat a pipe with tiny holes in it and cap one end off and attatch the other end to a sylinoid connected to a NOS bottle and spray the intercooler before the 1/4 mile.

it does lower the 1/4 mile times, but it was just an experiment. at that time my friend went from a 13.1 to a 12.8.

what kinda sprayer are you guys talkng about????

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
so we are building a dyno queen now? :lmfao:

You never stop in traffic?

Never been in line waiting for your turn in an auto X?

Never sat on the grid waiting for the official to start?

Heat soak happens at other times than sitting on a dyno. I'm far from a dyno queen, champ. :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts