Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would start it up and see what people are thinking. IMO, i love they way they sound but as far as performance i cant say much. I really think this mod is just for looks as wll as the sound. I mean a couple of HP's for a couple of hundred of bucks, come on guys!! I would still buy one

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Thats exactly my feelings on the whole intake thing....More air+not being able to tune the ECU for it=no ponies....

They sure look cool...I think the best mod that the ecu doesnt need tuning is the pulleys and flywheel combo...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My JWT Popcharger only cost $140. Well worth it as part of a bigger N/A package.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe that with very open exhaust n/a setups such as richards or anybody with header back exhaust, the Plenum and intake are virtually necessary. It's good to flow as much air as possible through all of those open big ass pipes in order to extract every bit of power out of the car. Plus, say somebody gets 3 or 4 hp out of the $200 intake... Well, people are getting like 10 hp from the $1150 nismo headers, and 6 hp from the $850 nismo exhaust, so the power to $ ratio isn't thatttttttt bad.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Sosa@Feb 4 2004, 11:16 AM
I believe that with very open exhaust n/a setups such as richards or anybody with header back exhaust, the Plenum and intake are virtually necessary.  It's good to flow as much air as possible through all of those open big ass pipes in order to extract every bit of power out of the car.  Plus, say somebody gets 3 or 4 hp out of the $200 intake...  Well, people are getting like 10 hp from the $1150 nismo headers, and 6 hp from the $850 nismo exhaust, so the power to $ ratio isn't thatttttttt bad.

One factor you need to take into account is for the more air you flow you must adjust you A/F ratio..The Nissan ECU does not do that once you are in closed loop..So you might be running a 13.5 a/f stock,now you put all your mods on that increas airflow and your a/f might now be at 15.1....too lean...The ECU makes its adjustments at idle and part throttle for emmisions reasons other than that your running a preset factory A/F Timing map..Adjusting this map is the only way to yeild optimal performance.

Another misconception people have is if a CAI is said t give 5hp and the exhaust is said to give 11 hp..That does not mean you automatically gain 16hp..Could be less,could be more..Its sort of like you make and adjustment here,and it might hurt you there or it might help you...Its a collective effect..Thats why I would baseline the car first...Buy all the mods you intend on doing at once and install and redyno t see what effect all the mods had..

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so daking getting the smt6 piggback would help to yield more power out of these kinds of mods, correct?

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i may be missing something here, but could someone enlighten me on what the smt6 piggyback is? is this like a A/F controller?

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am gonna buy the tube from toykilla and make a short ram out of it. It will be cheaper for me to do this as oppposed to buying the JWT which i was. i need to go buy a K&N filter and wanted to know what size or is it a standard size?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, a couple buddies of mine are running it in there BMW's, not much out there for BMW's. One of them is turbo'd so he really needed something for tuning and they got the SMT6, they love it. After i do the mods i wanna do i wanna have the ECU sent to TechnoFlash(think that the name of them)to have my ecu reprogrammed. Mainly for the higher rev limiter. Can the SMT6 be run with with the reprogrammed ecu? Wouldnt i pretty much be paying to have the rev highered since im gonna be changign all the fuel curves with the SMT6 anyway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They love it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I know that there is already a lot of post about the airintake (more than 3 pages). And i have all read them. But i still missing information about the sound. May can we with this message make a reference for people interested by the sound of the air intake.

I would like to have objective advise from people who have heard the sound of the 350z with all the different air intake exhaust.

The match is between the POPCHARGER / K&N / AND THE INJEN

Wich sound :

The louder
The sharper
The nicest.

What are the differences at high or low rpm ?

I m sound lover so it's very important for me to get different advices i don't need to have the loudest but i m looking a very cool sound. The reason of this post is that I m here in Switzerland and i wanna order from us tonight an airintake and it cost me pretty high freight cost.

I would be very grateful if you can help to choose the right one, every advice are welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Fred

Disclaimer : Any spelling, syntax or grammatical mistake arises from my partial knowledge of the english language. May the reader excuse me. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont have any experince with any but the jwt popcharger. The sound is great in my opinion. It gets pretty loud above 4k rpm but is hardly noticable below 4k. The sound is kinda a growl. Not real sharp or high pitched or anything. It looks real nice too.

PS :Welcome To The Forums!!

--Josh

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I had the INJEN. It increase the engine sound dramatically. I really liked the way it sounded. In my opinion, the JWT is probably the best bet. The sounds between the different intakes are not enough to justify the price difference between the JWT and K&N.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i had a Injen CAI on my old car but i went with the JWT for this car. I like the short one better, sound is better and maintenance is not a pain in the ass.

welcome to the boards also

1 - 20 of 131 Posts