1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
DBO4Z ........... Which one did you get. Seem like the carbon composite one won't conduct heat as much as the aluminum spacer.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Nice to see all the info together there... I almost forgot Espirit even made one :doh:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DBO4Z ........... Which one did you get. Seem like the carbon composite one won't conduct heat as much as the aluminum spacer.
The heat conduction prevention is a joke IMO. The engine bay heats up very hot and everything in there is too hot to touch, even if it is not attached to the engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is a report on the effectiveness of insulating the plenum in Texas. I installed my Motordynamics 5/16" spacer and isothermal kit (with valve) last month. I installed the kit with the valve turned off - no flow of coolant to the TB. I have been very pleased and impressed with the performance enhancement this mod gives - how much is due to the spacer and how much is due to the thermal insulation, I can't say. Unfortunately, I did not take the following temperature readings prior to the install so the results below are of less value than they might have been - but they are enlightening and introduce some fact into a subject with a lot of opinion.

I drove to work today taking a 20 minute route, mostly 60-75 mph with five minutes of stop and go traffic. The ambient temperature was 41 degrees F, and I noticed no issues with TB icing, etc. When I arrived at work I opened the hood and using a infrared thermal gun I took temperature readings aroud the engine compartment. Here is what I found:

Cam covers on front of engine = 143F
Engine bay wall just behind the passenger side strut tower (by the shiney ID plate) = 119F
Top center of plenum = 66F

It seems obvious to me that the plenum is cooler than it would be without the isothermal kit installed. Connected directly to the engine, I believe it should have been at least the temperature of the engine bay wall, perhaps nearly as hot as the cam covers, if the iso kit was not working. Yet the plenum was substantially cooler. This mod is no joke.

This test demonstrates several things. First, reducing the heat flow into the plenum (coolant and conduction from block) reduces the temperature of the plenum. Second, the incoming air absorbs heat from the plenum as it passes through (otherwise the plenum should have been closer to the temperature of the bay wall). This infers that by reducing the temperature of the plenum, the temperature of the incoming air is reduced, resulting in an unknown magnitude of performance increase from 1) an increase in the mass of air (rule of thumb - a 10 degree reduction equals ~1% hp) and 2) a reduction in timing retard caused by hot intake air. Added to the reduction in the plenum airflow restriction by running a spacer, and the total performance enhancement is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the review.. I am working on adding review sections to the wiki

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Got RPM

What do you mean by installed with the valve turned off no coolant? What kind of coolant is running through the TB? IM confused.

Does anybody have a view or oppionion on spacer vs new plenum. Basically a difference of ~ 30$ Does anybody think the new plenum would perform better or easier install vs a spacer?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Got RPM

What do you mean by installed with the valve turned off no coolant? What kind of coolant is running through the TB? IM confused.

Does anybody have a view or oppionion on spacer vs new plenum. Basically a difference of ~ 30$ Does anybody think the new plenum would perform better or easier install vs a spacer?
Performance should be about the same. For $30 difference I would get the plenum and get some added bling. Installation is near the same. The spacer would have a few extra pieces (washers, etc..) but not enough difference to matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts