Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was looking at getting an intake plenum for the Z, but had a question or two. First, who makes the best plenum (quality and power are factors)?? And second, if I got a black one, do you think the dealership would be able to tell unless they actually worked on it? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
the two out there that most everyone has is eithe r the kinetix or the crawford. the kinetix is plastic where the crawford is oversized and you lose your front strut bar because it will not fit otherwise. problems with kinetix are those that get them sometimes overtorque the bolts which causes it to crack. as for your dealer telling if you changed the phlenum out, yeah it will be really obvious if you did this mod

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.) Which plenum offers more power?

2.) Would the JIC strut bar fit over the Crawford plenum? I was planning on a JIC anyways.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JIC will not fit with crawfords plenum. I am not sure if it will fit with kinetix either. Only strut bar you can use qith crawford is their own and its pretty ugly. As for power gains neither will have a signifigant amt on the other.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my best bet would be the Kinetix plenum because it allows for the use of stock or numerous aftermarket strut bars, correct?

·
Registered
281 Posts
[/quote]
You cannot use the JIC strut bar w/the Kinetix plenum...You can only run the stock strut bar...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize that, but are there any other aftermarket strut bars that can be used??

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

None that I know of. I kow greddy makes one but not sure of fitment with the plenums

·
Registered
281 Posts
[/quote]
As far as I know...no, there is a groove in the V4's that is just wide enough and deep enough for the stock strut bar

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]
No you can keep your stock strut bar with kinetix

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
Correct. However, Crawford offers a strut bar to compliment their plenum.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I'm confused!! 2 Mods telling me 2 different things. Can we clarify on this? I really don't want to spend $440 on a plenum just to find out that I can't use a strut bar. Anyone know for sure about the Kinetix and use of a strut??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok, let me clarify this mess up.

The only strut bar that you can use with the kinetix plenum is the OEM strut bar (OEM = stock, just in case :) ) With the kinetix there is no need to modify the engine cover as well.

The only strut bar that you can use with the Crawford is the Crawford strut bar that will cost you $149 more. Also, to use this strut bar you will either have to modify the engine cover (the one with the V6 emblem on it) or remove it.

There is someone at the other site (motoring) that is selling a 1/4" plenum spacer that will allow you to use any strut bar and keep the engine cover. I just order one so if you can wait until next weekend I can post results and pics. He performed thorough dyno tests and it came out that it creates mor HP than Crawford's plenum (around 5HP more at higher RPMs).

Let me know if you need more explanation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would definitely be great if the power claims prove to be true. That way I could not only keep my engine cover and buy the JIC strut bar, but a plenum spacer would be less noticeable to the dealership. :nana: :irock:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey PM me when you get the mod done and get some driving done with it. What price range is he talking about here??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts