Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Holy crap man! That looks like it was a huge pain in the ass! I always knew it was possible, but no small task. Good job!

·
4,328 Posts
I guess my question would be... why? Did you just happen to have an old OEM navi unit laying around?

-Ronin Z

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I guess my question would be... why? Did you just happen to have an old OEM navi unit laying around?

-Ronin Z
For starters I was bummed that the NISMO didn't come with factory nav when the 380RS came with it. If I had been smarter when I bought the car I would have worked out a deal or something to get the navi parts at invoice cost and install it myself. I ended up buying this system off of ebay through LKQ - came with 90 day warranty on pulled parts! I actually have a month and a half left on the warranty LOL. System was mint, display perfect and came with harness pigtails.

I never really liked the position a double din nav had in the car, it just sat way too low on the dash. I had considered dismantling a double din unit and relocating the display but that would have been an expensive experiment, whereas I knew the factory nav would work.

I like the stock nav, it fits the car well. And if you notice I am using the correct center console for my model year.

FWIW I had been working on an embedded PC system based on an ARM9 and running windows CE. I wanted to to get it to run Navigon or some other mobile navi app but I could never build a windows CE image that would run the mobile apps. Bummer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I dont think I could have done that without instructions! I just completed my most difficult elecrical task so far which was resoldering my neon's instrument cluster! lol
I've got all the pinouts, wire colors, and pages I used from the service manual documented. If anyone is seriously interested I can share that info.

All of the power distribution and signal taps are per the diagram, meaning I didn't tap into the lighter socket for 12V, etc. The wire for the display RGBHV and CANBUS comms is shielded per the schematics. Also all the cables have a gray jacket around them (Belden if your familiar). 22 gauge and 18 gauge were the primary sizes used. Connections are soldered, heat-shrinked, wire ties for cable bundles, and taps were made using 3M scotch-lock connectors (with electrical tape wrap and wire tie to wrap the taps when done).

The navi audio is fed into the high-level inputs of my amp and then spit out to the rear speakers, meaning (A) the navi is plenty loud at 50% volume and (B) the navi control unit isn't driving the speakers directly (good thing). So for those wondering, YES the navi control unit can drive speakers directly but it has to run near 100% volume to be "loud enough". Not a good idea IMO. Standard car audio is output from the fron two speakers. With aftermarket speakers this is more than enough for me.

If you notice I am using the 03 control pad as well. I cut out and reworked the pocket that held the control pad in the 03 center console (my nav came with the old console) and retrofitted it to the 08 console. I had investigated using the 08 nav controls but the wiring (read CANBUS) was mapped differently and at nearly $300 a piece (and not seeing any wrecked parts) I wasn't about to experiment.

And if anyone is paying close attention - that is the real nissan din pocket and finisher piece

japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE

So as my favorite fortune cookie reads "it's kind of fun to do the impossible" heheheh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Forgot to add I spent about $700 on the whole thing. Nav parts were about $600 shipped and that was a whole center console w/ Bose unit triple clusters, etc. Well, nearly $900 if you include the center console ($$$ for plastic).

Parts from Nissan are nearly $5K :lame:

·
Registered
30 Posts
That looks like a shitload of trouble to add the stock navi. I was debating to do it when i saw how good the 06+ system looked but when i saw the required work it kinda freaked me out.

From your experience, would you say its easier to add the oem navi if the stock bose headunit is retained? I saw a few unused plugs in my own touring and I was hoping some of the wiring was already there. What exactly is missing to add nav? I imagine the center console and rear panes have to be removed to add the the DVD player.

Let me know when you get a chance, my main issue was creating the harnesses, i dont mind taking apart the whole car, ive removed dashboards etc for navi on my previous cars and to add auto climate. But everything was plug and play, i would add new harnesses with matching plugs or swap out entire body harnesses with the entire car pretty much apart and a million screws labelled aside.

Do you think it would be possible to do the same thing for the Z if i found an 06+ with navi? Im kind of thinking of ditching my avid d3 :) I just like the stock screen look of the navi. let me know if you would be interested in selling me some harnesses :)

Congrats on the install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That looks like a shitload of trouble to add the stock navi. I was debating to do it when i saw how good the 06+ system looked but when i saw the required work it kinda freaked me out.

From your experience, would you say its easier to add the oem navi if the stock bose headunit is retained? I saw a few unused plugs in my own touring and I was hoping some of the wiring was already there. What exactly is missing to add nav? I imagine the center console and rear panes have to be removed to add the the DVD player.

Let me know when you get a chance, my main issue was creating the harnesses, i dont mind taking apart the whole car, ive removed dashboards etc for navi on my previous cars and to add auto climate. But everything was plug and play, i would add new harnesses with matching plugs or swap out entire body harnesses with the entire car pretty much apart and a million screws labelled aside.

Do you think it would be possible to do the same thing for the Z if i found an 06+ with navi? Im kind of thinking of ditching my avid d3 :) I just like the stock screen look of the navi. let me know if you would be interested in selling me some harnesses :)

Congrats on the install.
Sorry for the (inexcusable) delay - I'll do my best to answer your questions:

What was missing to prevent "plug-and-play" was the dash harness and chassis sub-harness that supports the navi system. Since my car is technically an "enthusiast" trim I did not have those harnesses in the car. I am not sure what trim you have; there is a CHANCE you have a trim level that is outfitted with a navi dash harness. The other harness required is called "Body Harness #3" if I recall. It is the one that runs to the back nav DVD unit. Again, it is useless unless you have the navi capable dash harness in the car.

The stock headunit is NOT required as the navi DVD cpu produces high-level outputs for the speakers (meaning you can drive a speaker directly using the navi cpu). This is what I initially did, but then later rewired the audio output to the high-level inputs of my amp. Only drawback is that I need the head unit on or no navi audio, but when am I not listening to music?

I initially drove two speakers with no issues, and the volume control was not maxxed out. It was just personal preference to run it into the amp. The stock headunit has the plug for the navi inputs (it is the topmost brown plug). If I stil had the stock headunit and the correct connector, yes I could wire it "like stock". Honestly, driving a speaker or two directly off the navi cpu is easier.

Yes it is a lot of work, all the panels had to come out, including the cluster, and other dash panels to get the gps antenna in the stock location. The whole system pulls power from the correct fuse locations and all components are in the stock locations - the only real "custom" aspect is the control panel fitting, and the wiring itself.

I could - theoretically - make a harness but to be honest, I'd rather draft a "how to" wiring guide and provide that. I saved all the point-to-point wiring connections in a spreadsheet. That was definitely the major legwork - I had to make sure all the pin connections lined up for each plug since, obviously, they are not labelled from the factory :D You will also need minor experience making connectors, I used a small variety of AMP polymer connectors to make the control panel and display removable. This is not an easy job but do-able if you have the time a patience. Just depends on how bad you want it really.

And to add a final thought - the 06+ system has minor wiring differences so you would not follow the exact wiring as me (03-05). I have YET to find an 06+ system for sale. I looked high and low before committing on the 03+ system, I really really looked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did have a brainstorm while putting this together, about how to use the NEW control switch with the OLD system..

You could use the BUTTON press outputs from the NEW switch assembly, and wire those into the OLD nav switch assembly. In short - replace one switch for another. The only drawback is that due to space considerations (center console) the old keypad would need to be remote-mounted somewhere else (out of sight) and linked by a short run of cable. Nothing magical but a bit of careful soldering to the terminals of each switch assembly to connect the cable and also remove any unwanted circuit paths on each switch. Its just a digital input.

This was actually on my list of things to try out...

...when I felt like paying $200 for the 06+ switch :headshake:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bringing an old thread back from the grave, but I'm the current owner of this Nismo now and the navigation has stopped working. When I bought the car, it worked like a champ, but since this past summer it just stopped working. It's only flickered on ONE time since then and it was about a month ago on a warm day when it got up to around 60 degrees. Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing crmann is long out of the Z game...does anyone have his contact info by chance?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bringing an old thread back from the grave, but I'm the current owner of this Nismo now and the navigation has stopped working. When I bought the car, it worked like a champ, but since this past summer it just stopped working. It's only flickered on ONE time since then and it was about a month ago on a warm day when it got up to around 60 degrees. Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing crmann is long out of the Z game...does anyone have his contact info by chance?
Does the unit still respond? It is common for the CCFL driver to burn out in these older units, its usually the culprit, and you can replace the tubes and drivers with led lines instead that will run quieter and longer too.

Use a bright flashlight and shine it at the screen to see if the panel is still lit up or if the unit is still responding to commands (press voice button).
That would be my first guess being that the screen went. With the details of this install, you should be able just to replace bits and pieces as the wiring and hardest part has already been done for you.

If it were me, I would install an aftermarket unit and relocate the screen as I did in my Z, everyone that has used the oem navi absolutely hates it after a while. Plus you get all the new features, and the oem buttons still work if programmed correctly :)

My unit sits behind the driver seat in one of the cubby holes which slide open when the eject button is pressed on the front, otherwise it is hidden.

Something to consider if you are bored of the oem unit. Most kenwood units work very well since the screen can be extended up to 8 feet away from the main unit. The screens are also LED backlit touchscreen which makes them nice for colder climates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts