Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a week or so ago I installed the B&M short shifter and I am really happy I did. Overall, it is a great product. However, I am having one problem and I thought y'all might be able to help.

At higher RPMs, especially while in 3rd or 4th, I get a rather annoying rattle. It is quiet and can be drowned out by the stereo, but it is there and it annoys me. On the stock leather shift boot is a plastic grommet. I think that grommet is rattling, but I am not certain.

Can anyone offer some suggestions? Maybe I didn't use enough lube? Maybe I did not file enough off the shifter cup (or too much)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I had the same rattling.. i changed shift boots and it doesnt do it anymore, so i am 99.99999% certain that is what is causing it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I have a more particular question. Leftover after installation, per B&M's instructions, was a little metal spacer. It is 1/8" inner diameter and about 1/6" tall (like a tall washer). This used to go on the shifter right where the shift knob screws on. It might keep the boot from rattling. Has anyone tried using this part with the new shifter instead of removing it? I think it would not only help the ratlle but also keep the shift knob from binding on the boot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
45 Posts
I though you read my posts over at Motoring on the issues with the B&M. I still drive with mine and live with buzzing for now but honestly the B&M needs to be redesigned... Again! Just wait till you start missing 5th gear because the stop block no longer hits the guide plate. Give it a few hundred miles you will see... Welcome to the world of Buzz, Miss shifts and Aluminum chips! :clap:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jan 10 2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks.

I have a more particular question. Leftover after installation, per B&M's instructions, was a little metal spacer. It is 1/8" inner diameter and about 1/6" tall (like a tall washer). This used to go on the shifter right where the shift knob screws on. It might keep the boot from rattling. Has anyone tried using this part with the new shifter instead of removing it? I think it would not only help the ratlle but also keep the shift knob from binding on the boot.

i used the spacer and it still rattled.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Originally posted by toykilla@Jan 10 2005, 01:25 PM
I had the same rattling.. i changed shift boots and it doesnt do it anymore, so i am 99.99999% certain that is what is causing it.

Six Sigma! :clap:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Zxrage+Jan 13 2005, 09:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-toykilla
@Jan 10 2005, 01:25 PM

Six Sigma! :clap:

Nice! I failed to notice that (don't tell my boss).

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting the same rattle on mine.

I did some testing afterwards (I pulled the gearknob and the boot off) and there's no rattle. Either the OEM shift knob or the factory boot will rattle.

I've swapped the factory knob for a Nismo one, which seems to sit pretty tight, but I haven't swapped the boot yet. I tried a 5 minute job with race tape to try building a damper, but it didn't really work.

Its something you're going to have to live with, I think. I've tried 2 different short shifters and they both rattle in the same way. I've heard that the C's short shifters tend to be of better quality and don't rattle, but I wasn't going to spend double the cash to test it out.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I tested Dweeb's short shifter (he's a member of my350z.com I think) which I got second hand from harryw. As such I don't know too much about Dweeb's one; PM harryw for more info.

After assurances from other forum members at that site that the B&M was sweet and didn't rattle, I bought one of them. It didn't rattle for a day, but started up soon after, and just as badly as Dweeb's.

Dweeb's shifter was a better build, to be honest. It slotted straight into the factory position. No different bolts, no having to file away bits of the shifter housing, like the B&M shifter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Every car , depending upon ,mods etc has a different resonance profile. A few B&M users do not get rattles, but most do. I hate the rattles and have tried 3 diff shifters in and attmept for the best compromise.

WRT to rattling from least to most, here is my rateing (based upon my own G35 6MT testing) all with the OEM knob. A heavier knob will damp some of the harmonics as well, but the metal ball types set so **** hot in summertime,

Least rattle:

-OEM (quiet as a field mouse)

-Rouge with (Mossy O-ringed shifter cup), My own custom mix and match..

-Rouge with OEM cup

-Mossy with the O-ringed cup, Loudest in short setting least in long Setting,
still louder than the Rouge in all situations.

- B&M

Most rattle:

·
Registered
56 Posts
[/quote]

I noticed in your mod list that you have HF CATs and the Borla TD.
Just a note, on my G35C , I have HF CATs and a Borla TD.
My shifter rattling became worse after the CAT and TD install. Go figure?
I had the Rouge installed before my exhuast, and it was very quiet with the OEM exhaust. However; after the TD install it began to rattle. Coincidence maybe/maybe not.

I guess it's possible that the extra exhaust resonance added to the shifter vibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I originally had the B&M. Great shifter under low to regular RPMs .. but buzzed like a chainsaw in Texas under high RPMs and was difficult to up-downshift under high RPMs.

So swapped it out for the Rogue. Very good .. a little buzz (probably from the spacer) under high RPMs .. and a little effort needed for high RPM shifting. For my Z, it is much better than the B&M.

Planning to try the EVO350 shifter next. Short throws .. and looks good, although it might cause some vibrating noise since it's a solid shifter.

http://www.350evo.com/catalog/product_info...31913f57a17f281

1 - 17 of 17 Posts