Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i'm a little confused, or alot :helpsmilie:

There are two ways to install the CAI, shortram and cold air version. My initial understanding was that CAI can cause possible water ingesting damage to the engine, and therefore, buying a heatshield can possibly prevent such an occurance.

Am I totally confused? Is heat shield actually really used in shortram format where the filter would be close to engine bay and thus the HEAT shield is there to absorb some of the heat and hopefully have the filter suck in colder air than hot engine air? Or is heatshield actually used in coldair format as well to block out some of the water splashes?

Sorry for the retardedness, but I am wanting to going the cold air route and am wondering if I should buy a heat shield to avoid possible water ingestion. Or if heat shield is actually just used in shortram version and if I go the cold air route, I wouldn't need heat shield?

Please help. Sorry for sounding stupid, but I would love to do it right the first time. Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
heat shield would be for a short ram setup hence the name Heat shield it is supposed to help block out heat from the motor. i think injen or aem(same company) offers an air bypass filter for you water concern.
mdzowner

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
The head shield will work with both version and it will not block water ingestion. It sits under the upper intake pipe and replaces the stock heatshield just above the header.

The injen comes with a heat shield.

I rand the full Injen CAI and never had a problem with water, however i dont know if water got in the engine.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
The heat sheild is just that, blocks some of the engine heat and keeps hopefully some colder air directed towards the air filter. The heat sheild will not in any way prevent water ingestion. You would need to get a bypass valve for that, but only if going the cold air option--but unless you live in an area with VERY HEAVY AND FREQUENT RAINS it is doubtful that you would get water up into your engine. w/ the short ram you'd have to drive it into a swimming pool to ingest water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys so much for clearing up the confusion. I guess i had thought heatshield and air bypass valve as the same thing. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts