Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm having trouble moving that center bolt that lengthens/shortens the stock front strut tower bar. I tried some WD-40 on it, but still no luck. Any tips/tricks? I'm just about to give up and buy a Tanabe Front Strut Bar because I am having that much trouble with the stock one. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
it has a REVERSE thread pattern!

you will need TWO wrenches, one to hold one bolt...and the other to loosen the other....i suggest using two LARGE crescent wrenches to get some fulcrum going.

best advice i can give at the moment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (danimaldaisy @ Mar 21 2009, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=571662
it has a REVERSE thread pattern!

you will need TWO wrenches, one to hold one bolt...and the other to loosen the other....i suggest using two LARGE crescent wrenches to get some fulcrum going.

best advice i can give at the moment.
You know, my slow mind couldn't fathom using two wrenches for some insane reason...Thanks! I will give that a try...tomorrow, hehe.

·
5,437 Posts
Yeah, and look at the threads to figure out which way to turn to loosen the nuts. They'll take about 40ft-lbs to move, give or take. So you'll have to put some muscle into it.. make sure you're huffin it in the right direction.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Steve350Z @ Mar 23 2009, 07:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=571822
did you get it figured out?

Hi Steve, I haven't tried since Saturday night. When I ge thome today, I'm going to try the two-wrench approach to see if I can loosen the center nut and/or the two jam nuts. I'll update this thread as soon as I give it a shot, whether I am successful or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Z_Rukia_Z @ Mar 23 2009, 09:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=571835
Hi Steve, I haven't tried since Saturday night. When I ge thome today, I'm going to try the two-wrench approach to see if I can loosen the center nut and/or the two jam nuts. I'll update this thread as soon as I give it a shot, whether I am successful or not.
SUCCESS! Using the two-wrench method, I am able to adjust the length of the strut bar. Thanks for that idea!

Different question now (should I be starting up another thread) I read that in order to properly put the strut bar back on, I should have the car lifted so that no weight is on the tires, and then put on the strut bar...any comments/experience?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious, why are you needing to adjust the tower brace? They aren't preloaded.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (donkey_master @ Mar 23 2009, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=571906
Just curious, why are you needing to adjust the tower brace? They aren't preloaded.
I needed to adjust the tower brace because I took it off to add in my PURE plenum spacer, which is awesome, might I add :nunchuk:

It's too bad that PURE is not making them anymore.

I just put back on the front strut bar, but if anyone has any information or experience with putting on the strut bars AFTER lifting the car (shocks that no weight are on the shocks), please let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, after putting back on my strut bar, tightening the bolts, jam nut, and center nut....I go out for a spin...yes at 1 in the morning (I'm crazy)....

As I'm driving, I hear the engine making a weird noise....like something vibrating or pulsing under the hood. I remembered reading in the forums a long time ago about the possibility of the strut bar rubbing against the hood or the plenum. So I go home and take off the strut bar and go back out for a test run...everything is good...

WTF...I hate you, you strut bar, you...

--- OK Done ------

So, now that I know how to lengthen/shorten the strut bar, and re-install it, can any of you super helpful (and I really mean it) folks, help me understand why my strut bar is causing me even more agony? I thought I had tightened everything to spec, and I did put the spacers under the strut bar before tightening....

Argh, going to bed! (Thanks in advance)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (Steve350Z @ Mar 24 2009, 04:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=571929
what size is the plenum spacer? if it is over 5/16" it will rub, especially with spacers.

Hi Steve,

I got the PURE plenum spacer. I don't know the height, but it was advertised that it would clear the strut bar. Since a lot of other members were successful in installing the spacer and re-installing the strut bar...it's gotta be me. I believed that I have tightened the bolts/nuts to the correct torque specs...so is there any other alternative to the stock strut bar...perhaps an aftermarket strut that is not as thick (and therefore won't rub against the plenum).

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you use the aluminum spacers for the strut bar base's bolts?

If yes, just play with the strut bar length, you will eventually find the right spot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (Korda @ Mar 24 2009, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=571972
Did you use the aluminum spacers for the strut bar base's bolts?

If yes, just play with the strut bar length, you will eventually find the right spot.

Hi Korla,

Good information! Thanks, I will give that a shot... I just automatically thought that I eff'ed something up, I'll give it a shot when I get home later tonite.

Thanks man

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know it's an 05 and this probably would not be the problem, but just throwing it out there as a what-if in case it's not the length. Worn / old engine mounts could cause the engine to torque/rotate slightly in the engine bay during acceleration. This movement might cause your your upper plenum to hit your bar. Of course, worst case scenario so please don't panic! I hope you get this solved :) Oh, and be careful with the bolts that secure it to the frame. I had a classmate try putting one on while the bar was not extended. Stripped the bolt like no tomorrow. I got a new bolt for free so all good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (zi0matrlx @ Mar 26 2009, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=572130
I know it's an 05 and this probably would not be the problem, but just throwing it out there as a what-if in case it's not the length. Worn / old engine mounts could cause the engine to torque/rotate slightly in the engine bay during acceleration. This movement might cause your your upper plenum to hit your bar. Of course, worst case scenario so please don't panic! I hope you get this solved :) Oh, and be careful with the bolts that secure it to the frame. I had a classmate try putting one on while the bar was not extended. Stripped the bolt like no tomorrow. I got a new bolt for free so all good.

Zio, thanks for the advice, so far i think it's the length of the strut bar, i need to lenghten it just right so it won't rub against the plenum....but the tempatation to drive it (in this relatively nice weather that we're having in Massachusetts) often overcomes my desire to put the strut bar back on.....But I will do it someday!

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I helped do a friends spacer install and the same thing happened - he could hear/feel the vibrations where it was rubbing. Just gave the adjustment bolt another turn to clear the plenum and no further problem - took all of 5 minutes. Remember, the strut bar is not really an integral part of the suspension - just there for some added support.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts