Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm presently setting up the trunk area for more space, and the bonus is a whopping 30 - 40 kg lighter car, particularly where it helps in terms of cornering potential.

I got the idea from the Golf - no spare - a bottle of Fineleek and a neat little compressor.

I've found a quality compressor ($70) that fits kinda behind the no. plate in an unutilised space and the same for the finileek.

I'm going to a motor trimmer with a meter of black carpet and he can sew a lining for the huge well vacated by the useless (but bloody heavy) spare.

Afew bits of ply cut from the mats as templates to support the carpet over the tools, and to align the different levels, a bit of velcro here and
there, some high density sponge/styrene to line the floor where the spare was, and hey presto!

Will take pics and detail when finished.

FRIZZZZZ

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
so what do you plan to do if you have a flat tyre?

Use the foam filler? or just call the wife?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same as the golf - fill with the finileek, and then top up (if necessary) using the compressor. Works for them - why not us?

If its a total disaster - shredded tyre, etc - get the towie.

In over 40 years of driving - i've NEVER had a flat!

Having said that . . . .

Used to fill the chookchasers' tyres with Honda No-flat - you could drive a pointed screwdriver straight thru the tyre, and ride on with no loss at all. Is'nt on the market now - some cockhead didn't use it right and got hurt. There's other stuff on the market, though - claims are that you will never get a flat - even with multiple nails, screws, etc, etc.

I've never bothered with that kind of stuff, though in the car.

FRozzzz

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ummm, you might find there is another down side to this plan. Most cars with a spare located like ours count on the spare as part of the energy absorbing system in an accident.

If you get rear-ended and the spare is out the car will not behave as designed. I am not saying "never do this", but I would wager it makes the car less safe in a rear end collision.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Looking forward to the pics, before and after the project. I would be interested in this. Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Originally posted by AndyB@Nov 1 2004, 02:06 AM
Ummm, you might find there is another down side to this plan.  Most cars with a spare located like ours count on the spare as part of the energy absorbing system in an accident.

If you get rear-ended and the spare is out the car will not behave as designed.  I am not saying "never do this", but I would wager it makes the car less safe in a rear end collision.

AndyB I doubt this is the case here. The amount of steel frame that you have to go through from the rear end i'd say it is the safest way to have a collision in a Zed.

Last time I saw a Zed stripped down I couldn't believe the amount of metal that goes into the subframe. No wonder it's so ridgid.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by frosty@Oct 31 2004, 02:20 AM

" In over 40 years of driving - i've NEVER had a flat! "

careful what you say Frosty hahah.. i said that a few months ago and had a puncture the very next day, then exactly one week later to the hour, then another about 6 weeks after that !!!!!! $1200 of tyres down the bloody drain haha !!

[edit] good idea tho, i been thinkin the same thing about the spare... might as well chuck it and get a can of fixit shizzle

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just got myself 2 cans of tire fix foam (or whatever it's called). A very solid compressor, costed my $99, but it's quiet efficient, it doesn't overheat and it's not noisy like the really small ones, it also attaches directly to battery and not to the cigaret lighter and comes with an ON/OFF switch, wich is a bonus.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
A problem with the foam is if the puncture is repairable its harder for them to patch it because of all the foam etc. Now I dont know if they will actually refuse to fix it or not but im sure it will take longer.

Another potential problem with removing the spare is weight distribution. Most already have aftermarket exhausts which remove a decent amount of weight from rear and removing the spare will add to this off balance. If you bought a lightweight battery at the same time to remove some weight off the front of the car or totally relocated it to the rear of the car it would lessen the effect . If you have height adjustable suspension you can adjust the height of the coilovers to balance the car out again.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
about the foam.... heard that the professional will need to soak the punchured tyres in the special solution for a day or so before they can really get rid of the foam and repair the punchure...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
A problem with the foam is if the puncture is repairable its harder for them to patch it because of all the foam etc

I've heard of some people totaly stuffing their tyres with the 'foam'. One instance I can think of is that the wheel/tyre could never be balanced again so the guy had to trow it out and buy a new one.

I don't know how often than happens or how 'normal' that is as I've never used them myself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I say it's a good idea Frosty. I was going to do the same thing this week-end - especially considering that I don't think the spare will fit over the top of wheel spacers???

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Frosty. Do you realise that using the Flat Tire Kit. will fix your tire temporary, so you can drive to the tire shop and you muxt buy a New tire. The tire that you fixed temporary can't be used or Repaired anymore.

That's what they get on the Mazda RX8 owner. a Repair kit and non-repairable tires anymore.

Cheers

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics of modification.

The whole job is reversible in 2 minutes - just lift out the new mat and toss in the old stuff.

The mod has opened up a cavernous area that is very handy - especially in that goods tossed in don't roll all around, and I haven't tried, but I bet a 5-gallon drum would go in!

And the bonus is a **** of a weight shed - the fuggen spare is STEEL ! Grab hold of it and see how heavy ! They go to all the trouble to use aluminium in some body parts, and fibre for the tailshaft - and stick this weightlifter's disc in the boot !

The small heavy duty pump and two tins of Finileek fit comfortably behind the rear part of the mat - up against the area where the rear no. plate is kinda.

Very pleased with this practical and useful bit of work.

Cost - $39 for the pump, $160 for the mat, $12 for the two fineleek, $4 for the low density sponge for the floor under the mat.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice job Frosty

1 - 20 of 28 Posts