Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up i am about to turn to the topside of the motor i want everyones input on this u have seen the results what is better for the money, the plenum spacer the plenum itself the 35 anv lower plenum or the intake manifold, i know this has been brought up before but please assist me in this and i think it would be useful to everone

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
The best for the money...well, I would have to say Crawford cast plenum. People aren't seeing the gains from the AAM plenum spacer and Motordyne 1/4" plenum spacers (not sure about the 1/2" spacers) that were expected. For ~$150 more than one of those spacers you could have something that gains ~5rwhp more than the spacers (~15rwhp total)...seems like the best bang-for-the-buck IMO. I'm considering selling my AAM intake plenum spacer, not sure if I want to try it out (and depreciate the value for resale) or just sell it.

BTW, apparently people are losing power with the 35th anniv. lower intake plenum on 287HP model 350Z's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I saw a post where the motordyne 1/2 spacer had more rwhp then the crawford on the dyno. I will try to find it and post it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This subject has been beat to death, I have seen arguments and claims for both sides. Depending on who you believe and your thoughts on intake design, I think it will end up being the never ending debate.

You can see from my sig what I ended up believing in and I am 100% satisfied.

Chris

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

IMHO - a lot of what you do on the "top end" depends on your overall goals, car you're working with & $'s to spend.

I went with the Crawford Cast Upper Plenum - do to the fact that the rest of my Crawford parts work extremely well. IF I want to go FI in the future I can still use it :thumbsup:

2005 - lower plenum will give you HP gains, but you suffer from Tourque loss - does not fit what I'm looking for, but it might fit your set up.

Plenum Spacer - Don't get me started :headshake:

There have been a few "new" plenums that replace both the upper & lower plenums, but there are design flaws on the ones that I have seen. (Collector boxes look to be to small & runners just don't seem to look right to do what they are claiming that they pull off. I'll take a "wait & see" position & let some others be the testers.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What's with the 'don't get me started' line? The spacer and plenum's are all made to increase the space under the plenum, so how is the spacer that much worse than a plenum?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Look at his sig, "Cast Plenum (prototype), Headers, High-Flow Cats & X-Pipe (prototype)", Buff is connected.

Like I said, it's been beat to death.

Here is one thing to consider, the Nissan plenum is designed to flow air down the both sides of the plenum, not over the top as Crawford claims is their reason for the large front.

Another thing to consider, there is no reason the plenum needs to be as tall at the front as it is in the back because all the air comes from the back, so 66% of air needs to pass by the back two cylinders, only 33% needs to pass by the center two cylinders. I don't specifically know about the cast plenum but the v5 gave no greater volume to the back, where all the air is coming in from, while the motordyne spacer adds more space in the back as well as the front (this is not true for the slanted AAM spacer).

Finally the "only 150 more" is just for the plenum and not the strut bar, and for those that got in the the group by represents a 100% increase in price.

Chris

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
Good point about the $150 more doesn't include the strut bar, though the strut bar is flimsy anyway...not to mention the fact that two or three members had driven their 350Z with and without a strut bar and not noticed a difference. Not worth it IMO. It isn't 100%, but close. :) (not AAM plenum spacer at least)

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

I'm not conected - though I wish that I was :werd:

I've got enough knowldge to know that Doug is a **** of a lot smarter than I am!!! He's out there beating the **** out of his creations with his own car BEFORE he ever sells a single one. He's also going to make sure that they provide more power than what he took off as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts