Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I have about 100,000 miles already on my 06 and still runs like new. I am looking to replace the ignition coils soon. Any suggestion on after market parts. Also who makes the OEM ignition coils of the Z. I call the local Nissan dealer and they said " NISSAN make those. Thanks in advance. Joe

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Yeah, I don't see why you would want to replace the coils. If you have 100k on the plugs, I'd definitely replace those...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, coils. How long does the coils last on the Z. On my lexus they are replaced between 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
well I have not heard of anyone really having major issues with coils, and not many do a routine replacement of them, probably due to the cost, around 100.00 a coil, people usually wait until they fail

So I guess if you want to be safe you can go ahead and do them now, it is tough to say how long they will last.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning to buy 3 now and 3 three months from now so I would not be a big bent on my wallet. I'll keep the old ones as spare parts. I guess I will stick with OEMs.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to change a coil pack unless it fails. They either work or they don't - there is no "performance fall-off curve" with age. Best to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to change a coil pack unless it fails. They either work or they don't - there is no "performance fall-off curve" with age. Best to leave well enough alone.
I just wanted to clarify on this a little, because I read this and was slightly mislead, probably just due to my interpretation of it. I read this as a coil pack will either work, or won't work, and not fail intermittently. However I recently had one go bad on my 2003 Z and it was definitely an off-and-on type problem. It would run smoothly from a cold start, and generally things would start misfiring when the engine warmed up, or on the next start if it was not allowed to cool down completely. It was throwing a random misfire code so I couldn't isolate it to one cylinder until I took it to a shop for some diagnostics and they were able to shut down individual cylinders to figure out it was isolated to only one cylinder. I then swapped the coil pack off that cylinder and the problem moved with it. So, I learned that just because you're only misfiring occasionally doesn't mean it's not a coil pack issue. Oh, I also only have about 47K on the engine so it can happen at a relatively low mileage as well.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread as well but hopefully I've added some value. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've seen several Coil Packs gone bad amoung my fellow local Z's.
If you are definate that it's the coil packs, then maybe try "OKADA Plasma". I have been using it for 2 years, and not a single problem. It is smoother through out all RPMs and top end seems to be a little more powerful (according to my butt-dyno).
Remind you that OKADA doesnt run cheap tho... It's definately worth it if your OEM onse gone bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just wanted to clarify on this a little, because I read this and was slightly mislead, probably just due to my interpretation of it. I read this as a coil pack will either work, or won't work, and not fail intermittently. However I recently had one go bad on my 2003 Z and it was definitely an off-and-on type problem. It would run smoothly from a cold start, and generally things would start misfiring when the engine warmed up, or on the next start if it was not allowed to cool down completely. It was throwing a random misfire code so I couldn't isolate it to one cylinder until I took it to a shop for some diagnostics and they were able to shut down individual cylinders to figure out it was isolated to only one cylinder. I then swapped the coil pack off that cylinder and the problem moved with it. So, I learned that just because you're only misfiring occasionally doesn't mean it's not a coil pack issue. Oh, I also only have about 47K on the engine so it can happen at a relatively low mileage as well.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread as well but hopefully I've added some value. 👍
Thanks for this info. I have a 2003 350Z that started the multi misfire & it's gotten really bad. I was told to take it to the dealership because they could detect which cylinder it was happening on. Unfortunately the dealer said they did not detect any misfiring & that I needed to replace my right downstream O sensor & the catalytic converter. I did not do that yet, but every other time that I have had the computer checked it is multi misfires, so I guess I'll install new ignition coils before I have any cat converters changed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anybody here know how to check an ignition coil to see if it is bad? I went on ahead & changed all of my ignition coils only to find out that my cats were worn out, so I had them replaced too. You can find out about in another forum here. Anyway, I was wondering if any of those original ignition coils were good? Thank for any help you can give me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts