Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it make more power? I pose this philisophical question because I'm thinking of purchasing the UTEC or Emanage. However, the closest place known to me that actually has a dyno and works with 350Zs is in Chicago -- 5.5 hours away. I would like to try and tap anyone and everyone for info, if they are willing.

Would it be possible to tune the car myself without a dyno? I suspect no, but I don't know anything about engine management.

If I can tune it myself, what would I need (excluding a dyno, obviously)?

I'll just stop here and see what info I can get so I know how to proceed.

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
How about Elite Autosport in Minneapolis? They have a dyno and tune or fabricate all the time. I've seen impressive cars in there, and they have a board that keeps track of dyno results in their garage area. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Yes you can tune the car yourself without a dyno. Street dyno tuning is common and you will need mainly air/fuel gauge, and some form of knock sensor.

This should be safe on a N/A motor. Also, you need to know what you are doing and what adjustments will do what. The UTEC is starting to get alot of base maps poplulated which should help you get a good starting map.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about Elite Autosport in Minneapolis? They have a dyno and tune or fabricate all the time. I've seen impressive cars in there, and they have a board that keeps track of dyno results in their garage area. :thumbsup:
Hey, thanks, Dave! :yourock: I'll have to give them a call. Have you worked with them yourself or personally know folks that have taken their 350Z to them?

Yes you can tune the car yourself without a dyno. Street dyno tuning is common and you will need mainly air/fuel gauge, and some form of knock sensor.

This should be safe on a N/A motor. Also, you need to know what you are doing and what adjustments will do what. The UTEC is starting to get alot of base maps poplulated which should help you get a good starting map.
Cool. At least that's a start. I'm very mechanical and have done all the work myself on my Z so far. However, I've never done any engine tuning, so of course I would need someplace to get the info from with regards to tuning the Z. All the gotchas, etc. Not something I want to try and wing. That's what's difficult about that type of work: you can't just look at the read out and go, "Oh, I see. I need to adjust the hypercoupler and tweek the flux capaciter." While things like putting on suspension parts, changing pulleys, exhaust system, etc, I can just look at it and see how it goes together.

I figured I probably would need an AF meter. And I am staying NA.

Thanks again, guys! :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Yes to both questions. Good group of guys, especially the owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts