Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i want to replace the stock 350z low beam bulbs with something "brigher and whiter" and at the same time keep it all street and ADR legal.(not interested in HID conversion)

what "street and ADR legal" bulb should i get ? navra, phillips ? and what model.

cheers

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
you could try a set of 110watt Piaa globes, but the heat those babies generate may/may not damage the reflector and lense

no Philips, Narva, etc globe will give you a huge increase in output. And stay away from any blue tinted globes, all they do is reduce output since the glass is tinted. No tinted globes, not even the PIAA, are street legal either, they will all say somewhere on the pack something like "for off road use only"

the problem isnt the globes, i put the stock globes in my AMG C43 at the time and they worked very very well, its the psuedo reflector/projector lense. It produces a very wide beam on the road, and a halogen globe just isnt powerful enough to fill this huge area with light, so the road in front looks dim. In compariso a true reflector headlight will focus the light into 2 lanes max, so the light is more concentrated and thus brighter on the road. The Z's headlights, and you'll notice this if u ever fit a xenon kit, will fill those 2 lanes, the nature strip on both sides of the road and on a 4 lane highway, even light up the closest lane of oncoming traffic

if you want to improve the light output on the road, you're best with an aftermarket xenon kit. It isnt ADR legal though. Most output you can get out of a xenon globe is a 4300K globe. Anything above 7000K may look good, but you're approaching halogen light outputs again. The 06 Z's have xenons now, so you're unlikely to get dicked by cops if u have a factory looking Hid kit

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
i have the same problem with bloody crap halogen globes...

i was considering buying some 4000k bulbs however i really want 6500k HID xenons but im afraid to install the bastards...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got an HID set off Tpiace, and have been driving around sydney with them for the last month with all the cops on the roads and all and not a single peep about it. Even in the beaches suburbs ;)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Funnily enough, I just noticed last night that one of my headlights is out.

I'm probably going to end up getting a set of Narva globes.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I got an HID set off Tpiace, and have been driving around sydney with them for the last month with all the cops on the roads and all and not a single peep about it. Even in the beaches suburbs ;)
I've noticed that, especially with the Z, the cops are less likely to hassle you. On a cheap performance car with mods they'll tend to pull you over for "random" breath testing and checks, but in the Z unless you've got some massive bodykit or no mufflers in your exhaust you can get away with a lot more.

I drove around for 2-3 days without a front license plate when I took the black mounting thingy off, and past several cops without hassle. When I gave it a squirt off a set of lights with a friend in an S13, he was the one that got pulled over even though I was the one that kept going past the speed limit.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey guys, i want to replace the stock 350z low beam bulbs with something "brigher and whiter" and at the same time keep it all street and ADR legal.(not interested in HID conversion)

what "street and ADR legal" bulb should i get ? navra, phillips ? and what model.

cheers
Hi Ken,

I have the Phillips Diamond Vision 5000K fitted as well as PIAA Parkers. The compromise with the Phillips Diamond Vision is that they aren't as bright. If I were to do it again, I would definately consider 6000K Xenon/HID kit. They are relatively cheap nowadays.

Regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a set of Phillips Blue Vision's in my 200sx. (the 200's beam is alot worse than the Z's)

The beam is a little whiter @ night and about the same strength, if anything visibility is improved 10%.

I havn't tried them on the Z yet so cant say much, however, I would recomend them.

Are the beam's on the Z adjustable? Perhaps point them a bit higher. It made a huge difference to the 200sx.

L8TR

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I just got a set of Philips lights too. Not sure which type (they're in the glovebox at the moment) but are the "50%" brighter ones, even though they're still rated at the same 55W.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thnx for all the input guys. i might go down to autobarn and pick up a set of phillips diamond vision or narva plus50.
phillips are ADR and road legal eh ?

cheers

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah they should be

anything with a blue tinted glass isnt
hrmmm, the phillps ones look tinted and the narva ones have some sort of faint blue tint(Navra are ADR and road legal according to their site).

·
Registered
528 Posts
im getting my new 6500K philips from autobarn,

TPIACE have you got any pics of yours???

·
Registered
55 Posts
i believe the blue visions r adr compliant where as the diamonds r not.

dont quote me on it though.

Tarik.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
im getting my new 6500K philips from autobarn,

TPIACE have you got any pics of yours???
Philips dont make a 6500K globe dude - only 3000K, 4300K and 6000K. Be careful, they may be false advertising like so many other HID kits

I have the Philips Ultinon 6000K with new Philips slim-line ballasts

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=13

Bboy the color varies depending on who makes the globes. The ebay globes are blue at 6000K, the genuine Philips globes are a white light with purple tinge at 6000K

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
ok guys as per requested in alot of other threads

i took some pics of the Philips Ultinon 6000K kit on Aus Halogen headlights

you'll notice the cut-off is quite good, but you still get those horizontal lines of light just above the cut-off just like you do with the halogen globes. As far as i can tell, these lines are for lighting up overhead road signs, which really work well in doing so. Freeway overpasses are light up from kms away, and i have yet to be highbeamed, even on country roads

1 - 20 of 24 Posts