Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am building a speaker box, been going well. It's my first fiberglass project of any size (done patching and what not before). I am sort of cursing at myself because the design of the box is somewhat more complicated than I should have made on my first try (some parts I was using a mirror to see the underside of the inside lip and in retrospect, some of it could have been MDF and that would have reduced some of the glassing and made it stronger. So it has already passed the "Stand on it" test and using a work light I was looking for thing spots and noticed a few odds and ends I wanted to patch up. So I have it about 95% done with glassing when I run out of resin. No problem, figuring that would happen I had already picked up another gallon last friday.

So I open it up and notice it is not the dark purple color of the last gallon. The purple color is interesting because it fades away as it cures, slowly turning tan. Being only my second gallon ever of this brand of polyester I don't think to much of it, the new stuff looks just like the resins I had used in the past, sort of a light tan color.

Like I said, 95% done.

It's 68 degrees out and as per the last batch about 5cc of hardener to 8oz resin should do the trick. Measure out resin in one container, hardener in the other and blend them in a third just like I had done with the hole other gallon, 8oz at a time.

Stir well, get about 3 pieces of 3x3 glass pieces in and it's already gelled up (picture brush bounce off the rubbery center).

Ok, I'll try again, only I'll go with 4.5cc to 8oz, same thing

On and on until I get to 3cc and it is still going hard in like 2 minutes.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I am going to take back the 75% of the gallon and my 6 castings of the bottom of my plastic cup and see what they will do for me.

Chris

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I just had to say the guys at West Marine were excellent.
I walked in, explained my situation and they sent me off with a new gallon without even needing to fish the receipt out of my wallet.

The whole thing took me 3 minutes, would have been nice if it was good in the fist place but they pulled off a great recovery.

Job well done West Marine!

Chris (who can't wait to get home to do the last 5%)

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
good to hear you lucked out!... i know i had trouble getting the right mixture because mine didnt say how much hardener to use.. i had to figure it out by trial and error.. what a bitch..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts