Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was wondering

I need to get my car tuned....how to get it done?

what is the first step to be taken?

some detailed info would help thank you

Ayman

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
yes, you need something that can be tuned (piggyback).. or a reflash. But I thought you were getting rid of your car and doing a turbo kit?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i am making a deal on an 06
but they are asking me for some extra money
id rather put it on a TT

i might have to end up buying my car.

now its payoff is 28,000

as is...with no mods

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Ayman you confuse me with so manychanges you keep having but for this scenario you need a piggyback as stated so it can be tuned, we can hook you up with the tuning once we get power back and the dyno is up and running, then it is just your choice of piggyback, somthing like a unichip or utec will run you in the 900-1000 range for the part and then install and tuning, an emanage is another option, cheaper also but no way to advance timing.

I think based on the costs involved I think you are better off deciding on FI first, the proceed accordingly.

·
Registered
728 Posts
First step: get in the car and drive to a tuning shop :wink: LOL

Why do you think you need your car tuned?

Just my opinion, why stick a bunch of $ into a car you are leasing? I can see maybe tint and possibly wheels, but considering TT on a leased car is not something I would consider.

·
Registered
728 Posts
im keeping the car Aaron.

So, back to the original question - why do you think you need it tuned?

Get a couple runs on the dyno with a wideband and see where you're at.

If you really are going FI shortly, I wouldn't bother with a tune. Just put your money towards that.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to be honest with you. i got very excited on doing TT. but the thing is i am very sceptical as soon as Sharif said that even a PERFECT tune to the car doesnt avoid from it having problems.

i dunno man.

maybe i need a push of advice and confidence again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
to be honest with you. i got very excited on doing TT. but the thing is i am very sceptical as soon as Sharif said that even a PERFECT tune to the car doesnt avoid from it having problems.

i dunno man.

maybe i need a push of advice and confidence again.

IMO, Sharif's comment means absolutely nothing. You could do nothing to the car, keep it bone stock, maintain it perfectly, drive it very consertively and it doesn't garauntee you will be problem free.

You need to stop reading and actually do some research. These forums are fun and all, but every thing written here, even coming from good reliable sources, should all be taken with a grain of salt. I have had my issues with forced induction, but nothing yet is detering me or having me throw in the towel. TT are unbelievable. IMO, the Z is slow turd without at least one turbo. in N/A form, the Z is boring. Sure it looks decent and, relatively speaking, it has some go, but NOTHING like strapping on a couple turbos.

Sharif is correct that even with perfect tune things can go wrong. But with that said, your chances have been reduced dramatically.

My suggestions:
1.) separate yourself from the forums for a while- just read the off topic stuff if you stlll want to hang around
2.) Find yourself an authorized APS dealer/tuner.
3.) Order your APS TT kit from this dealer
4.) have them install and tune it - I would recommend getting the APS exhaust with Test pipes, APS plenum, a koyo radiator, and possibly and oil cooler with install. Gauges would be helpfull as well
5.) Drive the h>ll out of the car and don't look back
6.) come back to the forums and brag about how awesome having TT is

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds great aaron
this is exactly what i needed to hear
i guess this is the only way it will owrk like that

thanx man

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have to agree with zivman although the forums are great source of information it can also be a source of confusion/misinformation. Everyone has an opinion and you need to take the info in and digest it and make a decision on what you know or have learned.

As mentioned nothing is safe you go into it with the knowledge that someting bad can happen you just have to feel comfortabe with the odds based on the kit you chose and the history there is on the kit and FI in general. As an example you have mine which has been on FI for 17k miles and not babied. But if you have any doubts at all then you shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
westpak

are you guys now an APS dealer?
do you guys offer any warranties?
Yes, well I am ordering directly from them so I assume they consider us a dealer :) I am waiting for them to add us to their site, but I just put in my second order in.

And sorry but you entering the world of high performance modifications and there are no warranties in this game. Roger will stand behind his install and makes sure all is perfect before leaving the shop and also will take care of things that come up after the install if it is related to the install, they are pretty good about taking care of customers and belive in customer service and sometimes go beyond what I consider the call of duty, as an example a 350Z owner came down from Orlando for an APS TT install and when he got home had a small coolant leak, it turned out it was a fitting that came lose, well Roger made the trip up to Orlando to take a look at it, even I couldn't believe he did it. If something happens to the car they will handle things for you like arranage for the car to be brought to the shop basically try to minimize the trauma of the problem. I was first a client before joining them and that is why I did.

I will not bs you, and I don't anyone else that contacts me for APS or any other FI stuff, I outright tell them that if they have any doubts at all then they should not do it, there is always the posibilty of blowing the engine, now with the APS kit I believe the odds are pretty good it wont, I just don't want anyone going into it thinking it is all perfect because if that small chance does happen then I don't want to be perceived as having mislead someone.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Aloha,
One more thing. I noticed a lot of mods for '03 and '04 Zs. Unless it's specifically states it can be used on a '05 model, i'd wait till one comes out for that year.

I also agree, any modification done to any vehicle can have different results AND may cause issues. Hence the engine dying when coming to a stop after a 55mph or faster run on some of the Zs with aftermarket intakes. Even then, it probably doesn't happen all the time to them.

And yes, these are our opinions, based on various levels of experience with our own Zs and overall technical knowledge.

A Hui Hou

PaulO

·
Registered
728 Posts
One more thing. I noticed a lot of mods for '03 and '04 Zs. Unless it's specifically states it can be used on a '05 model, i'd wait till one comes out for that year.
Nonsense. Nothing on the 05s or even 06s warrants waiting because all you would be doing is waiting for manufacturers to update the literature. The parts themselves wouldn't change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts