Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, not on the Z but my 90 Pathfinder. It would not start today but would turn over. Strong smell of fuel inside the truck. I have 175,000 on it now and just spent $1700 on tranny overhaul. Guy tells me it will be about $1700 for service, change valve covers and fix the fuel problem. It has been a long time since I did this to my 86 1/2 Hardbody. I don't remember it being so high. I know parts are about $600, so what gives? Am I clueless or am I being taken advantage off?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That is a lot of money. At this point, I would have second thoughts on paying that much for such an 'old' car. How's your battery? Or fuel pump? Why does he need to do a valve job to fix a possible fuel sending problem? Did he say how many hours it would take and what he charges per hour? I think he's charging too much for parts.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The parts are $250 with my discount from Nissan. I seem to remember paying about $600, but it was so long ago.

The truck is a beater but as original owner and a history of nothing major other than the tranny at 174,000 miles it serves it's purpose. The oil has been changed every 3000 and the engine is in fine shape. It's an SEV6 4x4 with a value of about $4000 still on retail. I will see the mechanic at the track tonight and I will question him on his labor cost alone. I purchased timing belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets, cap, rotor, drive belts, and filters with a front seal for less than $250. So I figure labor should be about $350 to $400.

Will update tomorrow. Got too much to do today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts