Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went alone
so I couldn't leave all my stuff laying around at the track. Which means I ran at full weight. I had over 1/2 a tank of gas. There were a lot of cars (it was sport compact day)!

My first time trial was totally experimental. I got a terrible reaction time of .741, 60' time of 2.306 and ran the track in 14.720 seconds doing 96.57 mph. I raced against an 85 Fiero. He was a cool guy.
Taught me a few things about dragging, the track rules, etc.

Second time trial was probably my best. I ran against a Honda CRX. Now my R/T was .022!
Still a crappy 60' time of 2.362 (had the VDC off all the time), but ran the track in 14.615 seconds doing 97.24 mph. My 3rd time trial was consistent with the 2nd at 14.698 sec doing 96.79 mph against a Maxima.

BTW, I beat all 3 cars during the time trials. Now for the elimination rounds. I made rookie/amateur mistakes. I wasn't paying attention to the lights, so my R/T was .435 and 60' time of 2.409 sec. The CRX was about 1/2 a car length on me and I was really pulling up to him when I heat the limiter!
He won even though I had a better 1/4 mile time and speed. Our time slip was 14.5 seconds.

Overall, I had a good time. Next time, I need to be more prepared and practice more. It's such a long drive there. I was really hungry and nervous, so that didn't help the first time I ran. It didn't take long to get into it, though.

There were some sick cars out there. I'll post a few pics later. I saw a Datsun (what was left of it) do high 12's or low 13's, can't remember. Then there were those 17 second cars that burned too much rubber, made a lot of noise, but were not that impressive. I wasn't really in the position to take a lot of pics, that's what friends are for.

:goodtimes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
Some decent times there although I know you can do better. Its very nerveracking your 1st time at the track. My first run ever with the Z I ran a 17.2. Now talk about embarassing. I spun through 2nd gear and missed 2 gears. It was nasty. Last time I went though I was running consistent 14.0 with a best of [email protected] My 60' is around 2.2 on average. With a couple new mods I have I hope to be down to a 13.7 at least. Good luck next time you go!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that I decreased the air pressue in the rears to about 19psi. I think you'd do better with your mods. I got tired of them spraying water...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 1 2004, 02:27 PM
I forgot to mention that I decreased the air pressue in the rears to about 19psi.  I think you'd do better with your mods.  I got tired of them spraying water...

Actually I found that I have done better with my tires at around 30psi along with many other Z owners with stock tires. You should try that out next time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to try that next time with my street tires. In the meantime, here's some pics.






Edit: It looks like I accidently deleted those pics. Guess I'll have to scan my slips another way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
Originally posted by Dave079@Aug 1 2004, 02:26 PM
Some decent times there although I know you can do better. Its very nerveracking your 1st time at the track. My first run ever with the Z I ran a 17.2. Now talk about embarassing. I spun through 2nd gear and missed 2 gears. It was nasty. Last time I went though I was running consistent 14.0 with a best of [email protected] My 60' is around 2.2 on average. With a couple new mods I have I hope to be down to a 13.7 at least. Good luck next time you go!

17.2 ? ouch...
my first time was 14.4 which I was very proud of... second run @ 13.9 which shocked not only my friends but especially me..
best so far was 13.7 with Injen CAI only... now with few more mods + slicks , that Im waiting for , Im hoping for ... well , we'll see...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Aug 1 2004, 02:16 PM
Well, I went alone
so I couldn't leave all my stuff laying around at the track.  Which means I ran at full weight.  I had over 1/2 a tank of gas.  There were a lot of cars (it was sport compact day)!

My first time trial was totally experimental.  I got a terrible reaction time of .741, 60' time of 2.306 and ran the track in 14.720 seconds doing 96.57 mph.  I raced against an 85 Fiero.  He was a cool guy.
Taught me a few things about dragging, the track rules, etc.

Second time trial was probably my best.  I ran against a Honda CRX.  Now my R/T was .022!
  Still a crappy 60' time of 2.362 (had the VDC off all the time), but ran the track in 14.615 seconds doing 97.24 mph.  My 3rd time trial was consistent with the 2nd at 14.698 sec doing 96.79 mph against a Maxima.

BTW, I beat all 3 cars during the time trials.  Now for the elimination rounds.  I made rookie/amateur mistakes.  I wasn't paying attention to the lights, so my R/T was .435 and 60' time of 2.409 sec.  The CRX was about 1/2 a car length on me and I was really pulling up to him when I heat the limiter!
  He won even though I had a better 1/4 mile time and speed.  Our time slip was 14.5 seconds.

Overall, I had a good time.  Next time, I need to be more prepared and practice more.  It's such a long drive there.  I was really hungry and nervous, so that didn't help the first time I ran.  It didn't take long to get into it, though.

There were some sick cars out there.  I'll post a few pics later.  I saw a Datsun (what was left of it) do high 12's or low 13's, can't remember.  Then there were those 17 second cars that burned too much rubber, made a lot of noise, but were not that impressive.  I wasn't really in the position to take a lot of pics, that's what friends are for.

 
  :goodtimes: 

keep practicing , and dont mind the R/T , it doesnt get added to your final time , 60' is very important , try to get it down to 2.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Yah I just went to the track this past weekend. It wasn't really a track but an abandoned airport they use as a strip. I was running high 14's. I was so nervous. I ran my buddies Turbo disel truck (I beat by a 1/2 -1 car length). I didn't get a time slip but I asked what he runs and he said low 14.0's so I was happy.

I just wanted to have fun, but I am definately going to the SA speedway more often now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
WHATS UP GUYS IM SUPER EXCITED!!!...

LAST NIGHT I WENT TO TIME TRIALS AT ENGLISHTOWN..

1ST RUN REACTION TIME WAS .40
14.04
2ND RUN REACTION TIME WAS .30
14.08
3RD RUN REACTION TIME WAS .014
13.93 woohoo!!!!!
4TH RUN (IT WAS KINDA EMPTY SO THEY GAVE US ONE MORE)
14.04
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top