Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SB and the dust is crazy around colorado, my car gets serious dust in just a day or 2. I have a cali duster but that leave little waxy streaks. Is there any way to remove dust without scratching the paint or washing the car all over again??? Thanks,

Bishop

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's what quick detailers are for.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
If your California duster is leaving streaks...wrap it up in some newspaper, that will absorb the oils commonly found in new dusters. You will have to wrap it up, leave for 24 hours and repeat for 7-10 days until the newspaper has absorbed all of the oil residue...then it should work fine without streaking.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
dust will scratch up your paint! especially tha tyou have a super black. you need to be carefull on this one!
my advice is at least rinse the car, dry it, and then start using the spray

or the best of all....wash it

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by ayman350z@Aug 11 2005, 08:03 AM
dust will scratch up your paint! especially tha tyou have a super black. you need to be carefull on this one!

[snapback]144414[/snapback]​

If it's just dust, trust me, a high quality California duster will not damage the paint on your car, and is the fastest way to remove a fine layer of dust.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
KShep is right about the California car duster.

It is manufactured with parafin wax on it. When you purchase it, you are supposed to lay it out on newspaper for a day or two and let the wax soak into the newspaper. Like Kenny said, just keep replacing the paper until it doesn't have any more to soak up. Then, it won't leave greasy streaks and your duster will pick up everything you need it to :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by KShep@Aug 11 2005, 07:03 AM
If your California duster is leaving streaks...wrap it up in some newspaper, that will absorb the oils commonly found in new dusters.  You will have to wrap it up, leave for 24 hours and repeat for 7-10 days until the newspaper has absorbed all of the oil residue...then it should work fine without streaking.
[snapback]144408[/snapback]​

I put my duster away because I thought it was defective...thanks for this info! :goodtimes:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
My recommendation is this..

Number one, keep a layer of wax on it at all times. (I have a SB also)

And two, invest in a bottle of Meguires Quick Detailer and some soft cotton cloths. Spray, buff, wipe away clean. Always remove dust "wet", so there is no way to scratch.

"I live my life one Quick Detail at a time. In that 15 minutes or less, my car is clean."

Then wait a day and have fun repeating the process..

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by KShep+Aug 11 2005, 08:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ayman350z
@Aug 11 2005, 08:03 AM

[snapback]144414[/snapback]​

If it's just dust, trust me, a high quality California duster will not damage the paint on your car, and is the fastest way to remove a fine layer of dust.
[snapback]144421[/snapback]​

Exactly. After getting the dust off then use the quick detail spray, mequires makes a nice one that smells like cinnamon and work great, you can get it at the local pepboys or autozone, if you don't have a favorite product you get online.

Rinsing the car off, and drying it is not a good idea, the dirt stays unless you have a product that lifts the dirt off the surface ie/auto bathe, or car soap...

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i personally wouldnt use Z6 on a dusty non metallic black car despite me sleeping with my Zaino bottles every night

quick detailer + road grime + Nissan's super soft paint = scratch city. If the car was garaged and had 'in-house' dust then id use Z6 and a microfibre clothe

id just hose the car down first, spray Z6 on a panel at a time and wipe down with a microfibre clothe. Dont run a chamois over the paint or it will scratch. Yep non metallic black is that bad

........and tommorrow we welcome yet another black car to the TPIACE homestead. Maintaining 2 black cars is going to be a nightmare, but worth it when once prepped right

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info, didn't know that about the duster, i will get that wax out with newspaper. So a quik detailer on a duster car isn't good for the paint? Ive been using the meguars qwik detailer and it doesn't apper to be making fine scratches, i will hault use till further notice. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by ABishop@Aug 12 2005, 11:49 PM
So a quik detailer on a duster car isn't good for the paint?
[snapback]145172[/snapback]​

I've never sprayed anything on the duster.

If your Z is dirty...of course wash it first as jinxxy suggested, with some car soap to lift away the dirt. If you haven't driven the car since the last wash, and the paint surface has some dust on it...use the duster followed by a detailing spray. I would not spray the paint without dusting or washing first...you never know when a grain of sand might have blown on her...and one grain is all that it takes . The duster will safely remove it, along with the dust.

Even after you remove all of the parafin wax you can with newspaper from the new duster...it will still streak for a while, until the dust it collects drys it our some more. The detailing spray will remove these streaks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As long as it doesnt rain, I can go about 3 weeks without washing my Z. I keep my Z spotless though. Park inside garage every time at home. Before Every drive I use my trusty california duster and a MF towel to wipe down my rims, then every other drive I will Z6 spray and wipe with MF towel entire car. Only takes a few minutes, I have it down like clockwork now. Twice a month I use the Z8 spray and once a month I add another layer of Z2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts