Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about a set of test pipes as my next mod. I am doing stuff that will be both n/a and f/i friendly just in case i decide to go that road in the future. I don't want to kill the environment nor do I want to have trouble with emissions in CT. I just want more sound and a little more kick for the Z. Something to set me up for a complete exhaust in the future.

I know some performance cats are carb legal, but I am just looking for overall recommendations. (quality and price matter to me, so the best of both worlds would be preferred! Thanks guys)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. i am asking about test pipes, but any extra info on carb legal stuff (which seems more expensive would be cool too)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
You won't pass emissions with test pipes, but you may with High-Flow cats. Each product is different. High flows will cost a lot more than test pipes however.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I love my Helix test pipes. They gave a little louder exhaust note and I love them. Some people claim they are too raspy though. There are so many products out it's hard to choose sometimes. :cheers:

Check out our Zwiki exhaust section. It might help you make your decision. :thumbsup:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Exhaust

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
the overall combination of exhaust parts will make or break the system. I had resonated test pipes with my borla and it was very raspy. I have non resonated test pipe with my HKS and there is no rasp.. go figure ?

Some high flow cats will not work with forced induction and will fall apart. I am not sure which ones are good for FI but many say not to use with FI.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ugh, i don't know. I just want power gains, but I am all about the environment too (i am from the country)....

hmm, faster acceleration on those country roads, or preserve the clean air???

anyone have any other opinions on what exhaust system mods would be the most beneficial? or are test pipes where i am going to feel/hear it most??

·
Registered
233 Posts
ugh, i don't know. I just want power gains, but I am all about the environment too (i am from the country)....

hmm, faster acceleration on those country roads, or preserve the clean air???

anyone have any other opinions on what exhaust system mods would be the most beneficial? or are test pipes where i am going to feel/hear it most??
If you are worried about the environment check out the combo of the APS exhaust, with the crawford HFC's... i hear its amazing...this way the worst thing that can happen if u decide to go FI pop on some APS test pipes...just my .02

·
Registered
233 Posts
350zluvr has that setup with the crawford HFC and the APS exhaust...pm him, this guy knows his stuff...if your in the area **** let u check it out too!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o wow, that is an interesting setup. I really don't like the sound of the APS though. I love the sound of the nismo....BUT.....i hear you really should go true dual if F/I is a possibility down the road. Is this true? I just want something that is loud but driveable if I am on the highway (aka no drone), will complement a possible F/I car, without a terrible price

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so up in the air about F/I though. I have never driven in a F/I Z33 before, and I am not sure if I would even use all of that power, but I am still keeping the option open. I think my decision about the nismo exhaust (or another non-true dual exhaust) will seal the deal if I will go n/a or f/i. meaning that if i don't choose true dual i won't go f/i.

my car is completely stock except for the mods listed below. i am thinking about selling my other car and i will have a bit of cash to put into the Z. i am not sure if that money would be better spent on suspension, brakes, rims/tires, and visual, or on f/i. I mean, the thing puts you back in your seat as it is, but more power is always welcome, i just don't want to blow my money on something i won't be happy with.

I am rambling, sorry. It's just a lot of money to do anything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts