Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my 05 350z for about 10 months now and for the first month i did not break it in properly due to the fact that i did not get an owners manual when i left the dealership. so far my 350z drives great, but the clutch just feels stiff. my dad and sister just bought 350zs and the clutch is soft and smooth. what are the possible results of me not breaking my car in, and how soon should i see results to not breaking it in?

not breaking it in: i went over 4000 rpm a few times the first 1000 miles. usually i shifted before 3500 rpm but i usually floored the gas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, im 17, i had my z for 10 months and my sister and dad are jealous i can pay for it myself so they bought one for themselves too. dammit >:O

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
yeah, im 17, i had my z for 10 months and my sister and dad are jealous i can pay for it myself so they bought one for themselves too. dammit >:O
no year to break the engine in...it's already broken in when it comes!

what do you do? bought a z at 16 with your own money? i wanna know what you do! :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Chris is
He knows all. Like he said, don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
um... okay.. thanks, smooth. :cheers:

I don't know all.. :( I know that for sure! :shiftdrive:
You know a helluva lot more than I do about cars, so you're alright in my books. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, another thing im worrying about since i dint break it in as "recommended", is the engine life. is it something to worry about?? i didnt redline her over and over when i just got her but i still went fast and still do. i usually shifted around 3500 rpm because thats all a 350 really needs to go real fast, but i gassed hard full most of the time.

at 16 yrs old, computer administrator of a small business and i make the monthly payments.

[attachmentid=11044]

here she is

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
well, another thing im worrying about since i dint break it in as "recommended", is the engine life. is it something to worry about?? i didnt redline her over and over when i just got her but i still went fast and still do. i usually shifted around 3500 rpm because thats all a 350 really needs to go real fast, but i gassed hard full most of the time.

at 16 yrs old, computer administrator of a small business and i make the monthly payments.

One thing you did help is to seatl the rings.. Varied loads, and decompression / off throttle decell is wonderful at helping rings seat.

Engine break-in-procedure is another battle of the ages... Up there with octane, turbo vs. supercharger, oil choice, etc...\\\

<edit.. *Seat, not seal.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
good or bad??

Good! :)

Another thing to consider the 1000mile break in; the clutch. Most organic clutches recommend 500 miles.

Don't stress about it. Just take good care & keep it maintained. That way of something does come up, you'll have no concern, and the warranty will take care of things.

Now if you are planning on keeping it for 20 years... maybe you shed a day off it's life.. But chances are you will go with a nice big Turbo, love it for years.. and then blow it up and need a new engine anyway..

ahhh modifying cars... such Utopia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks illz, helps a lot. im planning on switching to racing clutch and brembo drill and slotted rotors anyway so i have a chance to "rebreak-in" new mods.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
sounds good, except for that x-drilled stuff.. Don't do it.. even forged they start to crack.. and the cheap x-drilled rotors are NOT forged like that.. they are drilled out. Which makes cracks even worse.

Slots, ok.

Which racing clutch? You see the tilton setups?? 16lb total weight (clutch and fw) compared to 56lb OEM!!

http://www.fairladyz33.com/temp/RevAfter.avi
(right click, save as)

Listen to that and tell me you don't want it! muhahahahahahahha

(congrats on making $ and doing what you want at such a young age.. I too was once the prototipical (made up word) computer geek at 16)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts