Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just got back from Performance Nissan in Duarte and after doing an oil consumption test, my car was diagnosed w/ excess oil consumption! :OMG:

The service manager, his name was Will, said they will contact me in a few days after they speak to NNA. I hope all goes well and that this is covered under warranty.

After 33,000 miles, my '03 6MT baby might need a new heart!

I'm just glad I decided to wait for the engine warranty to run out before going FI, otherwise I might have been screwwwwed! :banghead:

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Whew! You scared me there for a moment. I thought you decided to buy a RX-8.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by 350zluvr@Sep 19 2005, 05:08 PM
Whew! You scared me there for a moment. I thought you decided to buy a RX-8.
[snapback]156510[/snapback]​

:rolf2: :thatsfunny:

So how does one go about knowing they need to do an oil consumption test? Process of elimination?

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
wow that sucks, my oil level never waivers between changes, good luck. I hear that Performance in Duarte is one of the best so at least you have that on your side. You could have some dumbass service dept that didn't even notice that :headshake:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 19 2005, 08:22 PM
So how does one go about knowing they need to do an oil consumption test?  Process of elimination?

I took her in when I noticed the oil pressure gauge was reading low during idle (the needle stayed well below halfway of the 15psi mark) and no signs of any oil leaking from under the car. They topped of my oil level and told me to return after driving 1k miles. They rechecked the oil level and said that I had lost 1qt of oil. So, losing 1qt of oil in 1k miles is not normal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Got the word from Will @ Performance Nissan and NNA approved the replacement of my short block! Short block should be arriving in a day or two. THAT WAS FAST! I was expecting to wait weeks and come back to the dealership for compression tests and leak down tests. Didn't happen. :clap:

Now to get some cams and valve springs!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:OMG: Wow! Fantastic! I would notice if I lost oil just by the sheer habit of parking my car in the garage and noticing an oily spot there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Sep 26 2005, 02:55 PM
:OMG:  Wow!  Fantastic!  I would notice if I lost oil just by the sheer habit of parking my car in the garage and noticing an oily spot there.
[snapback]158268[/snapback]​

I had on old Toyota Forerunner that leaked oil before I got my Z. So I have a habit of checking for leaks. The Z never had any leaks. This was verified by the service technician when they did the oil consumption test. The oil just vanished (burned off).

Side note: According to Tony, Performance Nissan no longer installs cams because they are not CARB legal. :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts