Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...so after numerous posts trying to figure out the best thing to do with my HU and Bose system, I have a couple remaining questions....seems people go back and forth on this, so here goes:

1. With a Pioneer HU, will the Pioneer HU be damaged by the draw from the speakers (I verified that the speakers are 2 OHM, and this seemed to be a problem for the initial Sony unit I bought.) The person I talked to told me the amp in the HU on the Sony may have been fried because the speakers are 2 OHMs and that was too much for the Sony to handle without an amp.

2. If you had the option of installing a converter so that you don't have to bypass the amp....would you do it? Does it affect anything?

3. Besides hooking up the HU to the wire harness from the car, assuming I use the converter, is there anything else that needs to be done for it to work correctly?

4. The manual of the HU says to not hook up speakers with output or impedance values other than those noted here (4 to 8 ohms). The speakers are 2 OHMs, correct? Wouldn't this be a problem?

Suggestions?

BTW- Anyone live in NW burbs of Chicago by chance?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
OK...so after numerous posts trying to figure out the best thing to do with my HU and Bose system, I have a couple remaining questions....seems people go back and forth on this, so here goes:

1.  With a Pioneer HU, will the Pioneer HU be damaged by the draw from the speakers (I verified that the speakers are 2 OHM, and this seemed to be a problem for the initial Sony unit I bought.)  The person I talked to told me the amp in the HU on the Sony may have been fried because the speakers are 2 OHMs and that was too much for the Sony to handle without an amp. 
Yes you will most likely fry your Pioneer HU. 2ohm speakers draw twice the current that a 4 ohm speaker does… Bye-bye head unit.. This will be OK if you have the Bose high level convertor.

2.  If you had the option of installing a converter so that you don't have to bypass the amp....would you do it?  Does it affect anything?
No. I would bypass the amp, but I also know how to do this so I save myself money. Those converters never work right..

3.  Besides hooking up the HU to the wire harness from the car, assuming I use the converter, is there anything else that needs to be done for it to work correctly?
That is all that needs to be done (other than mounting the HU of course)

4. The manual of the HU says to not hook up speakers with output or impedance values other than those noted here (4 to 8 ohms).  The speakers are 2 OHMs, correct?  Wouldn't this be a problem?
This is what the converter is for.. If you do not use the converter, bye-bye HU (see question 1)

Suggestions?
Take your car back to Nissan and make them replace the Bose with a non-Bose :cheers:

Seriously, you look like you are on track. It looks like you are just wanting to replace the head unit. If this is the case, just use the converter. If you replace the speakers as well, bypass the amp and do not use a converter.

BTW- Anyone live in NW burbs of Chicago by chance?
sorry I do not

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What converter is anyone using? The tech at the store gave me one by installe edge. Toykilla told me that there is one specific for Bose systems by Soundgate, but has anyone had experience with the Install Edge?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I remain mystified by the general confusion over the Bose HU question-- there is so much back and forth. Anytime anyone asks a question on here, the answer seems to be "just replace the whole thing" because the bose sucks. Anyway, I am going to try asking a question once before I just give up:

I have the Bose system in an '05 touring. I want to replace the head with a Pioneer AVIC N-1.
-I do not want to change the amp, sub, sub amp, speakers or anything else.
-I know the sound will not be perfect, I just want the added functionality.
-I already have the Pioneer AVIC N-1.
-I know the bose sucks and I LOVE that it sucks. Well not really but I just am trying to simplify the question.

Does anyone know (toykilla?) exactly what I need electronics-wise to make the AVIC connect to the harness that I am going to unhook from the back of the bose HU?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
You will need a Line-Level converter specific to Bose units. This will be wired inline between your Pioneer HU and the stock harness behind the head unit. This is the most basic method of accomplishing a Head Unit swap on the bose. I do not know which exact unit you need, but you can go to any car audio shop and tell them you need a bose converter for a new head unit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thundercow-

I am not using my line converter anymore (got a gift of a diff head unit for Christmas). The one that I used is completely useable, still. If you are interested, let me know if you want it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, spkeehan, I emailed you separately but thought I would post here for everyone to see. The pro installer at San Diego Car Stereo says that converter performance can be inconsistent from model to model, and they strongly recommend the whole system be replaced. They basically said "it might not work, it's your risk".

Anyone that has had experiences with specific converters for specific applications--that would be very valuable information for members here.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I agree, converter performance is all over the place.. And prices are too. It would be best to get one that is proven on the Z and not risk buying one that will not work. If spkeehan's works can you please post the part number and company so we can put this in a FAQ >?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts