Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm a total newbie here. I was just wondering how strong the auto transmission in a Z is. Any general HP or torque the transmission can handle before you need major upgrades such as changing the valves and getting a torque converter?

Thinking of slapping on bolt ons such as intake and exhaust, but also buying transmission cooler. But I really want to make the Z last!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
You should have zero 5AT issues after adding an aftermarket intake and exhaust. N/A mods will not produce enough additional torque to cause overheating. If you decide to add forced induction then your driving habits will determine much of what needs to be upgraded regarding the transmission.

link to 5AT with F/I
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9686

:welcome: to the site btw.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
:welcome:

As KShep pointed out there isn't a lot to worry about with the AT unless you decided to head down the FI road. At the moment there are only 2 other tranny mods that come to mind for the AT - 1. High Stall TQ. Lots of $'s & I've yeat to hear anyone say much either way about it. 2. Valve Body. For about a grand you can have this done & when you're in Manual Mode you can shift just as quick at the MT guys. (if not quicker) I've got this done & really like it.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
:welcome: to the site!

I think the other guys pretty much covered it. Unless you're planning on 350 or more hp to the wheels, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
welcome to the site! :welcome:

i think the best person to ask for info is Kshep
he already did all the MAXIMUMS on a 5at
and i see that he already tipped you a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies guys! I don't think I can afford to go the FI route yet. The A/T transmission rocks and now I can start sleeping well knowing that the tranny will hold up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts