Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Willy great diagrams they are great way to visualise , i did the same. What i'l do is the same and monitor the intake hose. I'm going with a HKS S/C.
How is your CC setup running has it collected anything? Your motor is built so i imagine its running without any or much blow by.
Was the valve the right diameter for the 3/8 hose you used? Just as a side note Nissan Australia quoted me $66.00 for the check valve! Thats gouging!!!
I don't know how shipping to australia is, but I doubt it is $66... I have 2 sitting in my floor, lol...

Catch can it catching a bit...I'm running 16 psi, so some oil does get by at high boost... it doesn't fill up overnight or anything, but over the course of a month it filled maybe 100mL I would guess.... smells like fuel and looks like oil, gross.

·
Registered
337 Posts
:thumbsup:Thanks for the offer, by the time i wire you the $'s and postage it all mounts up. I have a couple coming with some other gear for the S/C.
Cheers

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
CHECK VALVE!!!

That's what Z1 said I needed!!!!! Thanks Willie, I will be bringing my car to you for the fix!! AWESOME!!!
:) !

glad I could help... I'm in Jacksonville, just stop by when you're passing through sometime :) ...or maybe we can knock it out at a tech day...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
:) !

glad I could help... I'm in Jacksonville, just stop by when you're passing through sometime :) ...or maybe we can knock it out at a tech day...
I will have to come see you. The pics I took don't really tell story, well the story that I need you to see.

Here are the pics. Oil is in various places as you can see. That's can't be healthy for my car and the engine:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
...yaaa looks like there's some oil spray going on in there...

Okay, wait... is that piece you're holding in your first picture always disconnected??
Where are those hoses in your last picture coming from??

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
So, since the ventilation has solved your exhaust smoke, the first thing I would try is putting a little plastic connector on the end of that hose and slapping a mini filter on the end... should take about 1 minute and no tools...
Try to point the mini filter up.... Or point it down where you don't mind oil dripping out. At least it won't spray everywhere :)

...I'm still trying to figure out all those connections you have going on though...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
...yaaa looks like there's some oil spray going on in there...

Okay, wait... is that piece you're holding in your first picture always disconnected??
Where are those hoses in your last picture coming from??
Yes. The shop vented the entire set-up to atmosphere when the thick smoke would not stop coming out of the exhaust (this only happens when they hook-up the hoses to the catch can). So now this unattached hose sprays oil under boost. It drips oil if I'm regular driving.

The third pic is a view of the driver's side. There is a 'T' connector that is vented to atmosphere (just on top of the filter).

In the 4th pic I'm holding the second hose that's vented to atmosphere.
The 5th pic shows the 'T' connector that should be hooked up to that hose I was holding in 4th pic.

6th pic is just next to that 'T' connector, I'm showing you the "OUT' side of the catch can going to the exhaust side (has white tape on it goes to turbo).

So, since the ventilation has solved your exhaust smoke, the first thing I would try is putting a little plastic connector on the end of that hose and slapping a mini filter on the end... should take about 1 minute and no tools...
Try to point the mini filter up.... Or point it down where you don't mind oil dripping out. At least it won't spray everywhere :)

...I'm still trying to figure out all those connections you have going on though...
Don't know which hose to hook up to mini filter. I just need to make a road trip to G-Ville.... :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Yes. The shop vented the entire set-up to atmosphere when the thick smoke would not stop coming out of the exhaust (this only happens when they hook-up the hoses to the catch can). So now this unattached hose sprays oil under boost. It drips oil if I'm regular driving.

The third pic is a view of the driver's side. There is a 'T' connector that is vented to atmosphere (just on top of the filter).

In the 4th pic I'm holding the second hose that's vented to atmosphere.
The 5th pic shows the 'T' connector that should be hooked up to that hose I was holding in 4th pic.

6th pic is just next to that 'T' connector, I'm showing you the "OUT' side of the catch can going to the exhaust side (has white tape on it goes to turbo).

Don't know which hose to hook up to mini filter. I just need to make a road trip to G-Ville.... :)
Holy ****, you're a mess.... I thought it was just 1 disconnected hose, you have pretty much nothing attached to anything, lol.

Ok, essentially what you have right now is just free ventilation of both sides of the crank case...which is an effective method for venting the crank case, as you have seen. The catch can really isn't doing anything though...that's why you're getting oil spray everywhere. The filters are the best way to minimize this...

If that Tee is running where I think it is, you're right, you do need a check valve...

What EMS are you running/ how is your idle?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Holy ****, you're a mess.... I thought it was just 1 disconnected hose, you have pretty much nothing attached to anything, lol.

Ok, essentially what you have right now is just free ventilation of both sides of the crank case...which is an effective method for venting the crank case, as you have seen. The catch can really isn't doing anything though...that's why you're getting oil spray everywhere. The filters are the best way to minimize this...

If that Tee is running where I think it is, you're right, you do need a check valve...

What EMS are you running/ how is your idle?
EMS= TurboXS UTEC
Idle= When warm sits just at 1,000 rpm. Idle is fine.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, I actually revisited this a bit today. I used clear tubes the first time around so I could visually see where oil was going. The driver side is working like a charm. The tube coming out of the crank case is stained with oil, while the one going into the intake is not. Check. But, the one going into the passenger side intake was a little oil stained. Also, the catch tank was not catching as much as it probably should. So, the first time around I did not put anything in the tank, but I have read that it isn't very useful without something stuffed in there. I did a little research and found the best thing to put in there is probably some stainless steel pot scrubber little steel balls. I picked up 4 from the grocery store, and spent my day stuffing them in the catch tank. They are bulky enough that they have far greater integrity than stainless steel (which is what I bought at first, but decided against putting in) but still plenty porous to catch a bunch of oil.
I also put a new clear tube on so I can tell if oil is still getting in.
I'll update again soon and let everyone know how it's going!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Willy! Just let you know that your write up was very helpful !!! I Do the same installation has yours without the litle restriction hose. My AFR is the same has before! Betwin 14.5-15 on idle. Ive got a 350z Twin turbo Greddy with forged internal.

For the check Valve I found on ebay some really good valve for a a good price!

Waiting for your uptade!

·
Registered
3 Posts
reviving this :)

Does anyone see problem with just capping of the plenum port, running a breather on passenger side valve cover and then route the drivers side valve cover through the catch can into the intake (pre turbo and maf)? Same setup as Willy has but just capping off the plenum port essentially.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts